Skills: Civil Engineering, Geologist, Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Due to sustained and strong growth in our Water Science business, we are seeking experienced applicants to join our team of 60 water science professionals. Applicants are invited to further develop our senior level technical capability in water environment assessment to support delivery of a range of project work, including EIA and WFD compliance assessments for major infrastructure development, and planning and environmental studies for water companies and environmental regulators.
We are looking for a proficient and authoritative professional who has a specialisation in at least one of the key water environment disciplines (e.g. water quality, hydrology, geomorphology, hydroecology, marine science), but also has sufficient familiarity with the suite of water related disciplines to be able to lead teams on technically complex projects for a range of clients. Crucially, they should have an excellent understanding of the Water Framework Directive and its application for management of the water environment in the UK.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in effective delivery of complex, high profile projects for the water environment; in addition, experience of the Development Consent Order planning regime for Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects in the UK is essential. We would expect the successful candidate to play a key role in business development and project management.
The appointment would be at Principal Consultant or Associate Director, depending on experience. We can be flexible on location in order secure the best person for the job, and can offer locations across the UK, including London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Newcastle-upon-Tyne or Glasgow.
Wood's Water Management team works across a wide spectrum of services covering water resources and security, hydrology and hydraulics, water quality, hydroecology and hydrogeology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high-profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies, the water industry, and a wide range of other industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
You will contribute to diverse range of projects but main focus of your work is likely to be EIA and WFD assessments for major infrastructure projects in the UK and overseas and water resources planning and environmental impact projects for the UK water sector. Your work will be varied but will include technical, management and commercial responsibilities. Responsibilities will include:
- Playing a leading role in project delivery, including managing the interface with clients and internal stakeholders. Supervising, coordinating and reviewing the inputs of others within the business to deliver high quality technical outputs that meet client requirements
- Working with senior colleagues in the Water Management, Environment and Consents Teams to develop business opportunities and prepare successful proposals
- To manage or direct projects effectively, balancing programme, budget and quality requirements, and ensuring that the highest health and safety standards are adhered to
- Providing technical guidance, training and support to junior colleagues
- Playing a key role in growing Wood's technical capability, knowledge and innovation base to develop new services for our clients
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Significant relevant professional experience working in EIA, hydrology, water quality geomorphology, hydroecology or marine science, at least some of which should have been in consultancy
- Demonstrable experience of leading technical inputs and teams for successful project delivery including EIA and WFD assessments. The main focus of the role will be on inland surface waters, but experience of delivering assessments in estuarine and coastal waters is also desirable
- Expert knowledge of regulatory context for planning and EIA, the Water Framework Directive and water resources in the UK is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Successful track record in managing client and stakeholder relationships
- You should have practical project management experience, including management of project teams, and be comfortable managing challenging projects
- Valid UK Driving Licence
- A first degree in a relevant environmental, geographical, science or engineering discipline is essential
- An MSc or PhD in hydrology, water quality, geomorphology or marine science is desirable
- Chartership via CIWEM, ICE or other relevant professional body preferred
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.