Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The primary role of the Mechanical Engineer is to design, analyze, develop, integrate, test, troubleshoot, and commission complex electro-mechanical and robotic systems and sub-systems. Mechanical Engineers evaluate system and performance requirements and translate them into specialized mechanisms to deliver engineered products that meet the dynamic, creative, and safety needs of our Entertainment Customers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with the Project Engineer to define mechanical related products, tasks, scope, and budget
- Works with the Project Engineer to deliver mechanical related products and tasks within the defined scope and budget
- Works with the Project and Systems Engineers to manage requirements and mechanical scope changes
- Works with the Project and Systems Engineers to confirm an understanding of, and compliance to, requirements and standards and plan and execute work in a systematic method
- Collaborates with other engineering disciplines (e.g. Project, Systems, Controls, Electrial, Analysis, Design Services, etc.) to develop and design overall integrated solutions
- Support Safety, Reliability, and Maintainability (SR&M) Engineer in development of system-level Hazard Analyses (HA) and Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FMEA)
- Participate in initial conceptual development through final commissioning and carefully balance customer and product specifications and requirements, cost, and schedule
- Lead or provide support to the Lead Mechanical Engineer for all areas of the mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic design of the equipment
- Responsible for all the non-Finite Element Analysis (FEA) mechanical calculations needed for actuator sizing, FEA loading, hydraulic and pneumatic sizing, and facility input loading
- Lead, or provide support to the Lead Mechanical Engineer, in the design development and component selection for equipment mechanical systems
- Collaborates closely with Electrical and Controls Engineer to best plan and produce electrical and controls design documents, including electrical and thermal analyses
- Support the development of top level system architecture block diagrams
- Perform mechanical design and drafting utilizing CAD based 3D modeling tools such as Solidworks
- Works closely with SR&M Engineering to define safety functions and mitigations in accordance with ISO 13849 or equivalent safe design approach
- Contribute to factory and site test plans (procedures) and test plan execution
- Contribute technical content to operation and maintenance manuals
- Responsible for the accuracy, completeness, and sufficiency of the mechanical design technical content in all document deliverables and drawings. This content may be prepared or generated by support engineers.
- Communicates task progress against schedule expectations, notifying Lead Mechanical or Project Engineer in advance of any delays
- Work with Designers and Analysts as necessary to complete design tasks, including mechanical design, drafting, analysis, and documentation
- Lead, or provide support to Lead Mechanical Engineer in, the creation and presentation of customer design review content as required
- Responsible for interacting with Controls / Electrical engineers to facilitate the packaging and mounting of the electrical / controls equipment
- Define and maintain project tolerancing and critical to quality philosophy
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist in sales efforts and expansion of customer base
- Travel as required (up to 25%)
- Minimum BS in Engineering required:
- Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronics, or related technical field
- Proficiency in 3D solid modeling, drafting, and analysis tools
- Experience in AutoCAD 2D drafting of facility and electrical content
- Advanced degree
- Professional License and/or Industry Organization Memberships
- Proficiency in 3D solid modeling, drafting, and analysis with Solidworks and Ansys
- Proficiency in AutoCAD 2D drafting of facility and electrical content
- Proven knowledge of Machine Safety standards including EN ISO 13849
- Proven knowledge of advanced dynamic analysis tools such as LS-Dyna
- Proven knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing in accordance with ASME y14.5
- Experience with complex hydraulic and pneumatic systems
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.