Skills: Mechanical Technician
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Lead Mechanical Technician's primary role is to support project development by completing mechanical and hydraulic system assembly work as required in support of various OTECH projects. The Mechanical Technician will perform assembly, integration, factory testing, field installation, and testing/debugging of mechanical/hydraulic equipment and systems. Project support primarily occurs at OTECH's Hanover MD location, but at times may require travel to field locations in the US and possibly abroad.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mechanical Fabrication, assembly, and testing.
- Hydraulic Fabrication, assembly, and testing.
- Operate hand and power tools.
- Hydraulic tube bending and hydraulic hose fabrication.
- Operate fork truck, overhead crane and rigging.
- The Lead MT may serve as a mentor to Entry Level MTs and is expected to be able to serve as the primary Mechanical Technician on whatever project they are assigned to.
- The Lead MT will have advanced technical experience and is expected to perform the full range of expected MT tasks autonomously.
- Assist as directed by Assembly Supervisor or project-specific Senior MT.
- Some travel may be required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
- May supervise the activities of Entry Level MTs.
- Reports to Assembly Supervisor
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Technical Associates Degree or tech trade school preferred.
- Minimum of two years of formal training.
- Three to seven years of progressively responsible, on-scene experience fabricating, assembling, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing hydraulic/mechanical systems, and small valve maintenance, including high pressure air/liquid power and control equipment (pumps, valves, etc).
- Able to interpret mechanical and hydraulic schematics/drawings.
- Skilled in the use of hydraulic test sets, flow/pressure meters, and non-destructive testing.
- Proficient in the use of common hand and power-driven tools including drills, grinders, drill presses, cut saws, etc.
- Proficient in hydraulic tube bending, hydraulic system operation/repair/maintenance and troubleshooting. Some formal hydraulic system training preferred.
- Proficient in the use of hydraulic test equipment.
- Fork-lift, overhead crane, and rigging experience.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with minimum supervision under a variety of conditions.
- A current valid U.S. passport is required.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.