Skills: Contracts Administration, Contracts Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Contracts Specialist leads the review, negotiation and execution of sales contracts and subcontracts for Oceaneering's service and product lines, which provide onshore and subsea services, equipment rentals, manufacturing and sales of goods, and data services. The Contracts Specialist is responsible for negotiating contracts received during the tendering process and for supporting Oceaneering's business segments and procurement department on contractual matters as they arise. The Contracts Specialist advises on contract strategy and risk management.
- Role provides the opportunity to work in hybrid environment, working both virtually and in office when required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze, draft, negotiate and administer sales and procurement contracts and subcontracts for the provision of onshore and offshore services and the manufacturing and sale of products, while advising on and at all times adhering to Oceaneering's internal policies and guidelines. This includes advising on master service/purchasing agreements, project-specific contracts, confidentiality agreements and other contract forms, in support of Oceaneering's business segments.
- Advise and support managers and personnel in the Bids and Proposals, Commercial, Sales, Operations and Procurement functions throughout the contract negotiation process.
- Liaise with Legal, Tax, Finance, Insurance and other Oceaneering departments to ensure that all contracts comply with Oceaneering's internal policies and guidelines.
- Advise business segment leaders on contracting principles in order to identify and mitigate risks associated with various scopes of work. Interact daily with a variety of levels of leadership within Oceaneering.
- Counsel business segment leaders on contract issues that arise during operations.
- Administer contracts files in Oceaneering's contract management database in compliance with department guidelines and procedures.
- Educate Bids and Proposals, Commercial, Sales, Operations and Procurement personnel on contract issues through daily interactions and formal training sessions.
- As a member of the Contracts team, develop and update Oceaneering's contracting policies and procedures.
- The Contracts Specialist may be asked to work additional hours on short notice and be accessible for communication after normal working hours as necessary to meet business and operational demands.
- Some domestic and/or international travel (up to 10%) may be required.
- Other duties may be assigned. This list of the job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the position holder will be required to undertake tasks that may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years of contracts specialist (or equivalent) experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of contractual risks and mitigation, including indemnity structures, is required
Contracting experience in any one or more of the following industries is preferred:
- manufacturing and sale of goods
- industrial mobility, autonomous vehicles
- offshore energy
- renewable energy
- digital services and technology (including Software as a Service, data licensing, software licensing)
- consultancy and/or professional services
- public-private partnership (P3) contracting arrangements
Experience using the Conga contracts management system is helpful but not required.
Law degree is helpful but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret contractual language, business correspondence, policies, guides and manuals in English.
- Ability to communicate effectively with leadership, professionals, customers, business associates and others, singly and in groups, orally and in writing, including responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers or members of the business community, and making presentations to leadership, other personnel and public groups.
- Ability to define and solve practical and complex problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in written, oral, mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills as well as high attention to detail.
- Spanish language skills (verbal and written) are helpful but not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.