Skills: Mechanical Technician
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily in offshore industries. We develop products and services for use in the maritime environment. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries. OII OTECH is seeking a Mechanical Technician who will execute mechanical, life support systems, and hydraulic maintenance and repair work on unique subsea systems and supporting equipment. The Mechanical Technician will perform scheduled and corrective maintenance, integration, testing, field installation, and troubleshooting of mechanical, life support, and hydraulic equipment and systems. Work primarily occurs in San Diego and will require travel to various locations in the US, at sea and abroad
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide sound and seasoned technical judgement that follows company policies and procedures in meeting OTECH obligations.
- Conduct mechanical and hydraulic maintenance and operation of all undersea systems and supporting equipment. Maintain teams and systems in the highest state of readiness in order to meet US Government requirements.
- Works within and supports a safety culture that is in compliance with Oceaneering's Life Safety Rules and HSE program.
- Working knowledge of applicable technical requirements from NAVSEA SS800-AG-MAN-010/P9290 (Systems Certification Procedures and Criteria Manual for Deep Submergence Systems), NAVSEA SS521-AA-MAN-010 (U.S. Navy Diving and Manned Hyperbaric System Safety Certification Manual), and American Bureau of Shipping rules.
- Be able to document maintenance and operational activities in accordance with applicable procedures to sustain certification of submarine rescue system equipment.
- Work within a team to resolve technical issues.
- Formulate methods and processes which will increase safety, efficiency and readiness.
- Hydraulic, piping, mechanical, and small valve maintenance and repair.
- Life support piping systems, oxygen systems and/or diver breathing gas systems maintenance and repair.
- Travel and at-sea watchstanding will be required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to the Lead Mechanical Technician.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Technical Associates Degree or tech trade school preferred.
- Minimum two years formal training or four years of progressively responsible, on-scene experience in fabricating, assembling, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing hydraulic, life support and mechanical systems, and small valve maintenance., including high pressure gas/liquid power and control equipment (pumps, valves, etc.).
- Able to interpret complex mechanical and hydraulic schematics and drawings.
- Skills in use of piping system test sets, flow/pressure meters, and NDT.
- Proficient in the use of common hand and power-driven tools including drills, grinders, drill presses, cut saws, etc.
- Proficient in hydraulic system operation/repair/maintenance and troubleshooting. Some formal hydraulic system training preferred. Proficient in the use of fluid and gas test equipment.
- Fork-lift, overhead crane, and rigging experience.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with minimum supervision under a variety of conditions. A current valid U.S. passport is required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- A current SECRET clearance or the ability to obtain a SECRET clearance.
- Experience with Deep Submergence Systems - Scope of Certification (DSS-SOC) and/or Diving and Manned Hyperbaric Systems - Scope of Certification is considered a plus.
- Experience troubleshooting to the component level is preferred.
- Experience with MIL-STD-1330 and/or MIL-STD-1622 cleaning and testing standards
- Certified Oxygen Clean Worker or equivalent
- Knowledge of shipboard and subsea systems (Diving/ROVs/AUVs) is preferred.
- Machinists Mate MM Machinist's Mate Non Nuclear Submarine Auxiliary (MMA) Machinists Mate MM , Machinist's Mate, Non-Nuclear,Submarine Auxiliary (MMA) , Machinist's Mate, Nuclear Power (MMN)
This position is considered OFFICE and FIELD which is characterized as follows.
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions (50%)
- Requires working outside / at sea / mobilized, frequently working on or near moving and vibrating equipment (50%)
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces, kneel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate underway embarked on working vessels
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.