Novi, Michigan, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Skills: Geologist, Environmental Engineer
Experience: 25 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Novi, Michigan, United States
Wood's Novi Michigan location has an opportunity for a Geologist with 2 to 5 years of environmental consulting experience to assist with field sampling events (groundwater sampling, soil boring advancement, and monitoring well installation) and assistance with tabulation and evaluation of resultant analytical and geologic data.
The employee will develop an understanding of approaches, methods, and regulatory requirements at all types of sites including water supply, groundwater discharge, landfill and dump sites, along with environmentally impacted sites under federal and/or state specific regulatory programs. Although travel throughout the Midwest is possible, the employee will be expected to travel to field sites primarily in Michigan, which will provide the applicant a broad range of experience in implementing environmental assessments in a variety of regulatory and geological settings. The applicant will also assist with compiling environmental data, preparing and interpreting soil boring logs, and assisting with report preparation for submittal to clients and regulatory agencies.
- Work under the supervision of a Certified Professional Geologist
- Plan, coordinate and schedule field sampling events
- Conduct soil, surface water, sediment, soil gas, air and groundwater sampling events in various site settings
- Perform oversight of drilling operations including soil boring advancement and the installation of groundwater monitoring wells and/or piezometers
- Assist with collection of data during short and long-term aquifer pumping tests
- Perform remediation system operation and maintenance activities
- Prepare soil boring logs, monitoring well installation logs, and geologic cross sections using computer programs
- Assist senior staff with the preparation of technical reports including compiling analytical data, preparing potentiometric maps, developing data summaries, and writing report text
- Perform quality assurance and quality control checks on project level data and report components
- Daytime travel and occasional overnight travel required, with less frequent longer travel (up to a week or more) as needed
- Overtime required, as needed
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license, work outdoors in various weather conditions and frequently lift up to 35 pounds
- Although variable assignments are expected, this position will initially require approximately 75% field work and 25% office work
- Follow Wood safety standards, participate in safety training and prepare and implement site specific health and safety plans
Skills / Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree in Geology or related geologic field is required (Master's degree preferred)
- 0 to 2 years of environmental or geological field experience desired
- 40 HOUR OSHA HAZWOPER Training in accordance with 29CFR 1910.120 desired, but will train staff if necessary
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task will be important
- Ability and desire to become a Certified Professional Geologist when required experience is obtained
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with management, staff, and clients
- Ability to work well in a team environment with a willingness to follow detailed instructions and learn new skills
- Ability to apply analytical/scientific thinking to define and solve problems
- Proficient in MS office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability to execute field and office tasks and operate independently at times - specifically in field setting
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds during routine field work activities
- Must pass drug test, entrance physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with Wood's (MVR) policy
Wood is a multi-national consulting and project management company that offers an opportunity to work for a progressive, fast pace and resilient company with a wide geographic range and sustainable client base. We are dedicated to providing an opportunity to work as part of our diverse and inclusive team to learn, obtain valuable training and grow your career.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.