Skills: QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The quality control technician will be required to comprehend specifications to determine testing/inspection procedures and equipment to be used. The candidate must be able to read dials or digital displays, compare results with specifications and record test/inspection data, confer with engineers, technicians and production personnel. Must be able to demonstrate the ability to perform dimensional checks and visual verifications of raw material, fasteners, fabricated and machined parts to acceptance criteria. Document and track non-conformance reports/material. Ability to work with minimal instruction and supervision.
- Requires daily onsite attendance; this is not a remote-work position.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for performing inspections on materials, products, assemblies, sub-assemblies.
- Ability to read drawings, comprehend specifications and tolerances, read dial indicators and digital gages, compare results with specifications and record test data, confer with engineers, technicians and production personnel as necessary.
- Demonstrate advanced ability to perform dimensional checks and visual verifications of fabricated and machined parts to acceptance criteria.
- Uses measurement, test equipment and functional gages to determine if product meets all stated requirements.
- Validate the quality of machined and fabricated parts, and assemblies in terms of dimensional accuracy and visual verification according to acceptance criteria.
- Ability to review data supplied with material and parts to acceptance criteria, such as: dimensional reports, traceability reports and certificates of conformity.
- Liaise with suppliers as required to ensure good product, documentation and service quality is maintained.
- Understand and adheres to requirements of Gage Calibration, and Measurement System Analysis (MSA).
- Develop and maintain inspection plans per drawing requirements
- Interpret inspection results
- Assists more experienced technicians and professionals in technical tasks.
- Performs technical work tasks requiring moderate technical experience.
- Checks in with supervisors routinely, successfully completes task as requested, and begins to think independently about solutions for recurring problems in equipment handling.
- Elevates issue when beyond scope of position.
- Applies routine techniques and standards under moderate supervision.
- Shows initiative and enthusiasm to solidify foundational understanding of the work area, gain exposure to related work areas, and reach out for new skills
- Works under well-defined procedures and guidelines that require
- low levels of troubleshooting.
- Mentors or gives technical guidance to junior inspectors and technicians.
- Performs a range of tasks with autonomy and may act as a cross departmental technical lead.
- Applies a range of techniques and standards autonomously.
- Shall be utilized as subject matter expert in quality control techniques.
- Displays advanced professional communication and interpersonal skills when exchanging information with peers and supervisors.
- Often serves as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems.
- Ensure all existing working procedures, practices and systems are followed.
- Ensure in date calibrated measuring equipment is used for performing inspectio.
- Must have a thorough understanding of advanced measurement techniques, and a basic understanding of Statistical Process Control
- Issues document, investigate, and track non conformances and inspection records in the following SmartSolve modules: Inspection Management, Non Conformance and Corrective Action/Preventive Action.
- Shall be capable of completing inspections, such as: FAT, SIT, FAI, In-Process, Final, Receiving inspections
- Work as a team member when performing or witnessing inspection and/or testing for internal and external customers, third parties, customer's inspectors, and engineering/manufacturing representative.
- Assist in developing and improving quality system procedures, work instructions, flow charts and associated process improvements.
- Uses safe material handling and preservation techniques, such as, operating a forklift and jib cranes, packing/preservation to prevent deterioration or damage.
- Product identification responsibilities include verification and / or physical product marking for traceability
- Support the customer satisfaction and loyalty processes.
- Support the organization's drive towards excellence in Health and Safety performance.
- Support includes but is not limited to participating in STOP observations, reporting HSE observations, attending HSE related meetings, supporting HSE improvement projects and any other related task deemed appropriate by the Manager.
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of advanced quality inspection techniques.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of ISO 17020 and ISO 17025.
- Knowledge in NDT methodologies.
This position is considered SHOP WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Generally, work performed indoors (80%) and occasional outdoors (20%). Hours of work depend on shift assigned.
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the workplace.
- Work surface is stable (flat).
- Requires a great deal of manual dexterity, such as working with measuring and testing equipment, marking and hand/power tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces , k neel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.