Skills: Research & Development
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wood is looking for a motivated technical expert to lead the front-end development of opportunities at one of our client's sites as a Secondee. This position is based in Edmonton, AB.
The Project Development Engineer's primary responsibility is the front-end capital project development for medium to long term improvement, threat mitigation, and growth opportunities for the Scotford facility. You will develop opportunities from concept identification to handoff to the Project Engineering teams for execution.
Excellent collaboration, stakeholder management, and communication skills are key for site, global discipline teams and other stakeholders on even the smallest of projects. An ability to diagnose and present complex topics in a simple understandable way using facilitation techniques will be required to show proactive and effective decision-making skills.
This role is for someone looking to continue to develop their skills in front end opportunity management, stakeholder engagement, problem solving and gain exposure to executing projects within the Project Management Framework.
Project Development is a centralized department that supports the whole facility and is therefore removed from the day-to-day operating activities. Working in Project Development has the added benefit of working across all three lines of business.
The Project Development Engineer will:
- Lead the Assess and Select (FEL1/FEL2) phases of projects
- Interface with Production, Business, and Technical departments to frame and develop the front-end engineering scope for the opportunity, as well as, ensure incorporation of their input into the scope development, study reports, project value processes, assurance and decision reviews
- Provide input on how the scope of change impacts the operation of the facility to ensure the design achieves the project premise
- Understand and communicate the economic evaluations associated with the project premise
- Interface with disciplines and at times, P&T to complete assurance review(s)
- Provide productive advocacy and inquiry, including under substantial opposition
- Interface with Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) firms to coordinate engineering activities for technical development of the project
- Perform detailed fact-based analysis of assigned problem to provide clear definition of opportunities, threats, findings, and solutions
- Develop the relevant technically written project deliverables for Assess/Select - e.g. Project Premise Document, Feasibility Report, Concept Selection Report, Basis for Design, etc.
- Provide continued support to the project alongside the project engineer after handover
Skills / Qualifications
Skills & Requirements
What we need from you -
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least 3+ years' experience in an operating facility environment.
- A strong technical background with process knowledge of upgrading, refining, or chemical plant operations is desirable.
- Registered professional engineer in Alberta with APEGA, or the ability to register as a P.Eng with APEGA is an asset.
- Process Safety exposure is an asset
- Process modeling experience is beneficial - Pro II and HYSYS/Unisim
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects is essential
- Experience in managing small projects/MOCs of a multidisciplinary nature
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.