Skills: Financial Analyst, Chemical Engineering, Chemist
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, United Kingdom
Wood's environmental policy and economics team is at the forefront of providing policy, technical and economic advice on the development and implementation of environmental policy and business response to policy. We work for customers such as the UK Government, European Commission, international organisations (e.g. the United Nations, the World Bank), industry associations and companies. Our reputation for robust and impartial analysis means our projects directly influence the development and improvement of environmental policies in the UK, EU and beyond, addressing some of the most challenging issues we face.
We will be recruiting an Assistant Consultant Environmental Economist to support the delivery of projects across some or all of our main policy areas, which include: chemicals, water, air quality, industrial emissions, natural capital and circular economy, amongst others. You will be joining the business at an exciting time and will play a key role in delivering our ambitious strategy for growth. The post can be based in either our London, Reading or Bristol office with hybrid working available.
Economic analysis is a critical component of the services we provide. You will be involved in policy impact assessments for Government, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment, data analysis and modelling, alongside stakeholder consultation and literature review. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the economic and other impacts of government action, including the interaction between the public and private sectors, the scope for government intervention and the operation of regulated markets.
If you have a keen interest in environmental economics and public policy; are able to analyse and interrogate data; communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, then we want to hear from you. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate, with excellent opportunities for career development, exposure to diverse projects as well as international travel in a supportive team.
Applications from those with European language skills - in addition to a high professional standard of written and spoken English - are particularly welcome. Our team is based across the UK, Belgium, Germany and beyond. We are seeking to fill this role in the UK, in our London, Reading or Bristol offices but the position will involve work with colleagues and partners across our network of offices in Europe and the rest of the world.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, excellent opportunities and personalised training for long term career development, and opportunities for client interaction within both the public and private sectors.
You will work in multi-disciplinary teams, contributing to policy development, implementation and evaluation; cost-benefit analysis; model development; information/ data collection and analysis; stakeholder consultation; report writing and verbal presentation.
Skills / Qualifications
- A demonstrable interest in developing a career in environmental economics and policy
- Postgraduate qualification in economics or a closely related subject. This may be in environmental policy, science, engineering, law, social sciences, etc
- Demonstrable research skills / experience. This may be via collection and analysis of data, summarising and critically evaluating literature, stakeholder interviewing, for example
- Strong mathematical skills, covering quantitative analysis, data manipulation, statistical modelling
- Understanding of analytical techniques such as: survey design and execution; market analysis; socio-economic analysis; regulatory impact assessment. Familiarity with national and international sources of government and business statistics would be desirable
- Demonstrable experience in some of the following: economic and policy analysis, development and implementation; evaluation of technical / policy measures to address environmental problems; data collection, validation and analysis; and stakeholder consultation
- Some knowledge of at least one of following topics and the affected sectors: air quality, chemicals, industrial emissions, natural capital, water or waste
- Excellent communication skills and ability to write clear and concise reports in English
- Experience of environmental or policy analysis is desirable. This may be within a consultancy, government, research agency/think tank, NGO or private sector / industry organisation or relevant placement
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.