Skills: Noise & Vibration Control, Field Service Tech
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Wood's Asset Performance Optimisation business has established a truly global vibration, dynamics and noise (VDN) capability. Encompassing 200+ engineering specialists in 11 offices worldwide, the VDN team work closely to help our customers meet their reliability, integrity, and operational performance goals.
Wood VDN provide engineering solutions and services that improve machinery and piping system reliability and assist our Oil & Gas, Mining, and Utilities clients to achieve optimal and safe production.
Currently we have immediate openings for senior engineers with static equipment and/or machinery expertise to work in the VDN team based in our Glasgow office. This position will report to Field Engineering and Machinery Analysis team leads.
Help us quantify and solve complex piping dynamics problems using state of the art field measurement equipment and sophisticated computer modelling techniques or be involved in designing reliable and efficient machinery systems. Utilise your problem-solving skills to assist our engineering teams analyse and recommend solutions for complex machinery and piping problems.
The successful well-organised candidates will be technically adept team players. You will have the opportunity to further broaden your existing technical engineering skills and understanding of dynamic machinery and piping behaviour and contribute to the mentorship of our junior engineers. You will be a member of a team of experts and interact with our global customer base.
- Work alongside and consult with client personnel at Wood premises, client premises, and on sites throughout all stages of projects
- Lead field measurement campaigns in support of field troubleshooting projects
- Complete deliverables and all other reportage/analysis required for engineering projects with minimum supervision from VDN technical authorities
- Manage all technical and commercial aspects of engineering projects (proposal, technical delivery, presentations, and invoicing).
- Assist with business development activities within the VDN team
- Have a deep understanding of the capabilities and limitations of typical vibration measurement equipment and transducers
- Understand process-related, operational, and other common excitation sources and be able to collect all information relating to these in support of project goals
- Understand the application of various simulation packages used by Wood (FEA, CFD, acoustic, surge analysis etc.). Specific experience in the use of such packages (e.g. ANSYS, Caesar, PULS/BOSFluids and PipeNET) is desirable
- Attend conferences and seminars and, where possible, present original papers and technical presentations
- Lead all technical aspects of qualitative and quantitative Energy Institute Guideline type Vibration Assessments (AVIFF) of process plant (onshore and offshore)
- Undertake vibration, dynamic stress, dynamic pressure, and noise measurements as required (at onshore and offshore sites worldwide)
- Have full understanding of the application of fatigue assessment methodologies for static equipment
- Complete Acoustic Induced Vibration (AIV) assessments
- Review anti-vibration support designs, fabrication drawings, and welding specifications
Skills / Qualifications
Mentor: Act as a mentor to junior engineers. This will involve: formal training; general assistance; project supervision; and supporting professional registration.
Commercial awareness: be able to confidently manage day-to-day budgets and progress reporting on engineering projects.
Assertiveness: Comfortable presenting project results and group competencies to existing and potential clients.
Flexibility: able to travel to global site locations at short notice, and accommodate a balance of office and remote working.
- Significant experience working in process and related industries (in the UK and overseas)
- Demonstrable experience of: piping vibration and/or machinery troubleshooting; and engineering project management.
- Suitable Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) degree and education in line with UK-Spec and accredited for CEng registration
- Chartered Engineer (desirable)
- Full driving license (Highly desirable)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.