Skills: Budget / Cost Control
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wood is currently looking for a Cost Controller to join Conventional Energy Canada team in Calgary, Alberta
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Develop, issue and maintain Project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS) for specific scopes
- Liaise with other Project Controls disciplines and functions, assist and support in the development of project budgets in accordance with the Basis of Estimate including statements of work scope, assumptions, man-hour estimates, narratives and review & comment of client documents
- Liaise with procurement, finance and time-capture functions, and third parties as required, to ensure accurate and timely capture of procurement, materials, subcontract and labour manhour costs. Ensure costs are allocated accurately in accordance with approved project WBS
- Liaise with engineering, procurement and construction functions, and others as required, to maintain awareness of project activities and their impact on the project budget, schedule and cost forecast.
- Facilitate and manage the project work approval process in terms of accurate cost code allocation and initial budget set-up and approvals
- Develop and maintain project cost budgets using appropriate software applications
- Monitor and control cost commitments and expenditures through all phases of project lifecycle
- Liaise with planning as required to ensure accuracy in project cost phasing and forecasting.
- Prepare and provide project cost performance reports in accordance with project reporting requirements
- Prepare and issue updates to project cost forecasts
- Monitor and report on cost impact of project manpower forecasts
- Develop and issue project change orders / variations in accordance with engineering and construction change notifications
- Facilitate and communicate cost and schedule impact of change notifications.
- Monitor overall project cost performance and contingency drawdown.
- Coordinate the project cost close-out process.
- Attend cost & estimate risk analysis sessions as required
- Participate in Project Controls Compliance and Continuous Improvement Reviews
- Assist and support in the mentoring of junior Cost personnel
Skills / Qualifications
Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant technical or business discipline (or equivalent gained through relevant vocational training and/or industry experience)
- Five (5) to Ten (10) years of progressive project cost control experience in Oil, Gas and Chemical industry
- Proficient knowledge of cost software and related principles, tools and techniques including budgeting, forecasting and cash-flow
- Proficient knowledge of Project Execution Procedures for Cost Management including Change Management
- Proficient understanding of WBS & CBS structures and project reporting capabilities
- Proficient ability to develop project cost budgets and change estimates
- Understanding of change management and associated cost and schedule processes
- Understanding of earned value application, cost and schedule variance analyses/trending and what- if scenarios
- Understanding of Project Management principles and techniques, including Cost Management, Change Control, Planning & Risk Analysis & Management
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Ability to build exemplary working relationship with project teams and clients with professional service focus
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Effective organization and planning skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Uses initiative and a proactive approach to problem solving
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.