Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure is seeking an experienced Senior Level Mechanical Engineer to join our dynamic team in Kennesaw, GA. The ideal candidate will have a background in HVAC, piping, and plumbing design as well as energy efficiency . The candidate should have leadership experience, good communication skills , and the ability to work with a cross discipline group of experienced professionals. The candidate will be responsible for executing mechanical designs for new construction projects, renovation s , and upgrades independently or as a member of a design team. The role will also include the development of drawings, specifications, cost estimates, calculations, and design reports . The successful candidate should have a minimum of 8+ years' experience with knowledge in HVAC, building automation, piping, and plumbing systems .
- Lead mechanical design teams in developing construction documents for various facility projects
- Perform field investigation, inspections, analysis
- Design of facility HVAC and plumbing systems
- D evelop design concepts and prepare mechanical design drawings
- Preparation of construction drawings and specifications
- Perform HVAC load calculations and develop energy models using Trane TRACE 3D
- Perform engineering calculations such as fan static pressure, pump head, ventilation, expansion tank, water heater
- Size, select, and schedule ductwork, piping, and/or equipment based on engineering calculations
- R esearch building codes, industry standards, r egulatory requirements , and client design guidance
- Prepar e mechanical/process piping design drawings (PFDs, P&IDs), isometrics
- Coordinate with engineers, architects, clients, contractors, project managers, and others
- Analyze engineering data and make recommendations of course of action
- Research design options, document findings, and present options to Project Team and client
- Present engineering designs and/or investigation findings to client and project team
- Communicat e verbally and in written form in a professional manner with engineers, construction managers, equipment suppliers, contractors, and client representatives
- Travel overnight from 25-50% at times, depending on the project, for f ield assignments to destinations that are local, national, and international depending on technical capabilities and client's requirements.
- Create exhibits and documents for presentations and reports.
- Perform cost estimates of plumbing and HVAC designs
- Work with the project team to investigate and trouble shoot existing designs and implement drawing revisions
- Obtain and maintain Professional Engineering licenses in states as requested by management to support ongoing projects
- Serve as the engineer of record by signing and sealing construction documents
- Adhere to discipline-specific policies and design standards.
- Supports proposal generation and business development, creating technical scopes of work and man-hour estimates.
- Follow company safety standards, site safety standards, and maintain safe workplace practices.
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- 8+ years of related experience
- Current Professional E ngineering license
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Familiarity with building codes including IBC, IMC, IPC, IECC, NFPA , a nd ASHRAE standards.
- Proficiency in MS Offic e
- Ability to develop Bill of Materials.
- Proven ability to read, understand, and develop design drawings.
- Must have HVAC, facility piping and plumbing system design and drafting experience.
- Ability to develop HVAC control schematic diagrams
- Must understand pipe and duct routing principles, space coordination requirements.
- Able to conduct field verification of designs prior to, during, and after construction.
- Able to help select system equipment and components when needed.
- Review drawings supplied by vendors (shop drawings, submittals, etc.).
- Proven ability to manage and execute multiple project activities.
- Experience leading junior staff and/or draftspersons
- Proven experience in plan production and design for building design projects.
- Ability to be flexible in daily duties and level of responsibility encompassing redlining as well as leading plan production efforts.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, if required.
- Ability and willingness travel with the team to project sites in the US and internationally; ranging from 25% overnight travel, and up to 50% depending on specific projects.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
- Experience with building simulation modeling (preferably using Trane Trace).
- Background in design of HVAC systems and knowledge of HVAC systems to include but not limited to HVAC load calculations, equipment sizing and creation of construction drawings.
- Must be computer proficient with working knowledge of MS Excel and Word
- Must have experience with CADD software.
- Experience with pumping systems, process piping, or wastewater applications.
- Construction administration or mechanical contractor background
- Pertinent engineering design production or engineering consulting experience.
- Expertise through past experience in developing specifications, cost estimates and schedules.
- Industrial/Manufacturing experience.
- General electrical, structural, and architectural knowledge
- 3D Solid Modeling
- REVIT and AutoCAD
- Commissioning document preparation
- Preparation of detailed fabrication and assembly drawings, including specification of materials, bill of materials, and other drawing notes
- Formal reviews of conceptual, in progress and final designs with client/team members
- Experience with PFDs and P&ID's
- Experience with steam boiler systems
- Experience with compressed air systems
- Experience with SCADA
- Experience with DDC
- Experience with PLC controls
- Experience performing energy audits and life cycle analysis
- Able to do physically demanding field work such as climbing ladders, and carrying back packs with notes and data collecting equipment, etc.
- Must be able to travel without limitations and perform unimpeded standing and walking in industrial and field environments for up to 12 hours per workday.
- Must be physically capable of performing work in personal protective equipment.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.