Skills: Design Engineer, Drafting
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
Oceaneering provides unique, high-tech and high-spec services and solutions to a diverse customer base in both the commercial and government sectors, including offshore oilfield, defense, aerospace, entertainment, material handling, renewable energy, and research applications.
We seek highly-motivated individuals to become an integral part of our elite technical team. You will work on leading-edge applications in underwater robotics and automation in a dynamic, professional, fast-paced, and hands-on environment where you will stretch and expand your abilities with ample opportunities for advancement of talented people.
Our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, operating within Oceaneering's Aerospace and Defense Technologies (ADTECH) segment, designs, builds, and operates Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV), and related robotic and electromechanical systems creating solutions for operations in harsh-environments above and deep-under water.
OTECH is located at our ADTECH headquarters in Hanover, MD, close to Washington, DC, and our primary Department of Defense (DoD) customers, such as the U.S. Navy and DARPA.
We are growing our business. Prepare to grow with Oceaneering!
As a Senior Electrical Designer/Drafter , serve as a vital member of the Oceaneering Aerospace and Defense Technologies (ADTECH) technical team - an engineering center of excellence, and an exciting part of our dynamic, global enterprise.
Apply creative design skill and computer aided design drafting (CADD) practices to the generation of layout, assembly, and detail schematic and wiring/cabling drawings for electrical and electronic equipment of simple to moderate complexity for a variety of ADTECH projects. May also prepare sketches and other graphic information for use within technical documents, proposals, and sales-related documents. Work primarily as an electrical/electronic technology and drafting professional. May act as a technical lead for the work of other less experienced designers and drafters on a specific project.
Within our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, you will be responsible for assisting electrical engineers with design and drafting tasks associated with the development and implementation of complex power and control systems for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical systems - helping solve our customers' toughest challenges - typically for US Navy and other US Government Department of Defense customers.
This position will be based in our Hanover, MD office and will be hybrid-remote. Applicants are expected to be able to travel to the Hanover office as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in the collaborative engineering and design process.
- Work both independently and closely with (electrical) engineers, as necessary, to assist with design and drafting, creation of electrical diagrams and drawings, and drawing revisions and changes in accordance with drawing redlines.
- Check technical accuracy of drawings.
- Independently and/or collaboratively prepare complete CAD electrical schematics, wiring, cabling, and system drawings and diagrams using Altium Designer.
- Interact with engineering and manufacturing personnel to ensure manufacturability, maintainability, and assembly.
- Design electrical equipment and assemblies of simple to moderate complexity.
- As required, independently select appropriate electrical and mechanical components for design, wiring, mounting, and housing of electrical chassis, cables, and related systems.
- Assist in preparation of technical documentation, manuals, proposals, and sales-related documents.
- Assist with assembly and testing of electrical systems.
- Interface with clients as requested by Program/Project Manager.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Essential Qualifications (must possess most of these):
- Associate degree in design, drafting, or related technical field such as Electrical Engineering Technology, or demonstrable commensurate work experience and on-the-job training.
- At least 5 years experience and proficiency with electrical (and preferably mechanical) CAD design and drafting.
- Accurately create and read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Familiarity with ANSI drafting standards.
- Familiarity with application of electrical standards such as NEC, IEEE-45, NEMA, IEC, etc.
- Familiarity with selecting proper wire sizing, wire types, and common/standard wire color schemes in AC and DC systems.
- Familiarity with common electrical connectors and wiring components; select and size current and latest available electrical and electronic wiring devices and associated components, terminal blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling, dressing, etc.
- Experience with design of electrical chassis layout and wiring.
- Ability to meet stated deadlines and objectives, and to support design reviews.
- Ability to work independently to develop original designs, modifications to existing designs, and technical drawings of parts and assemblies.
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of CAD equipment and software.
- Ability to work and interact closely with an interdisciplinary team of managers, engineers, and technicians to assist in solving difficult technical problems and challenges.
- Good verbal and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate internally with team members, and externally with vendors and customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, etc.
- Knowledge and desire to gain practical technical experience in the creative design process, including participation in the concept, design, drawing, assembly, integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical, electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience/proficiency with Altium Designer electrical CAD schematic capture and PCB layout software.
- Experience/proficiency with SolidWorks for creating solid models at the part and assembly level; complete layout and detail drawings, including application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, for simple to moderately complex electrical chassis and other mechanical designs.
- Experience with design and drafting of mechanical components, assemblies, weldments, structures, and mechanisms.
- Experience/proficiency with other advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD), Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as AutoCAD, SPICE, MathCAD, MATLAB, etc.
- Knowledge/experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater) industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and related robotic and electromechanical systems.
- Knowledge of applicable industry professional, technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC, MIL, etc.)
- Wiring, cabling, and grounding design for minimizing electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Knowledge/experience with various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their associated media and protocols in high-noise potential environments.
- Knowledge/experience with low-medium voltage, single- and 3-phase power systems (120, 240, 480, 3000+ VAC).
- Experience/proficiency with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) layout and design.
- Experience in proper use and application of various standard electronic test equipment; e.g., DMM/multimeters, oscilloscopes, power analyzers, spectrum analyzers, communications analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters, etc.
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering, cabling, etc.)
- Knowledge/experience with fiber-optics.
- Knowledge/experience applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Knowledge/experience with programming languages and/or script writing (software).
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the US, outside the US, or offshore, onboard a boat.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.