Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions has a career opportunity for a Senior Level Rock Mechanics/Geotechnical Engineer to develop, build and support our growing Rock Mechanics Group across both our Mining & Minerals and our Resilient Environments divisions around the globe. The work location is flexible to locations across the United States including but not limited to Salt Lake City, UT, Denver, CO, Phoenix, AZ and Helena, MT.
The Senior Rock Mechanic will be responsible for developing and leading a team, providing expertise and applying rock mechanic principles to surface and underground mine design challenges. Full project scope, from study level to the detailed design and construction with the requirement to liaise with other technical specialists. This is a critical role in our leadership team; as we expand our Underground Mining business and support our strong surface mining activities.
Are you a Senior Rock Mechanics/Geotechnical Engineer who is seeking a leadership role, challenging projects and the opportunity to collaborate with our professionals around the globe? Are you looking for an opportunity to work with an established engineering consulting firm that values its employee's enthusiasm and technical contributions? We encourage you to apply for this opportunity. We are dedicated to providing the atmosphere to allow individuals to grow their career. We offer a varied and interesting diversity of clients and projects. We'd love you to join our team of friendly, hard-working, dedicated and collaborative professionals. Our ideal candidate is seeking challenging work and is committed to quality.
- Support underground and open pit mine engineering at various levels from conceptual studies to detailed engineering and closure
- Provide leadership and mentoring to multi-disciplinary teams
- Network with staff from other Wood offices and divisions, and participate in cross-sharing of resources; Build strong and enduring relationships between Wood and its clients
- Design of underground mining, stopes, pillars, infrastructure and ground support, using analytical and numerical tools
- Design of ground support requirements and of backfill requirements
- Design of open pits, slope stability analysis and determination using analytical and numerical tools
- Geomechanical site investigation work for underground and open pit mining including laboratory testing
- NI 43-101 Rock Mechanics Design Reporting
- Foundation and tunnel design
- Develop and grow the Rock Mechanics team
- Assist in marketing our mining capabilities and services, and help expand Wood's presence
- Assist in hiring and training staff and expand the teams' capabilities
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in Mining / Geotechnical Engineering related to rock mechanics.
- PE is a plus
- 15 years + relevant experience, including underground or open pit operating mine experience, or underground or surface civil construction; backfill experience
- Strong experience in mining rock mechanics, rock engineering, investigations, analysis and design
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in project management, including budget, schedule and deliverable performance
- Knowledge of mining economics and evaluations
- Knowledge of civil rock engineering excavations (foundations, tunnels and rock cuts)
- Knowledge and experience with hydrogeological investigations, analysis and modelling
- Experience with ground support design, 2D-3D computer modelling skills, including knowledge or proficiency in numerical modelling using boundary element, finite element, finite difference and/or discrete element methods
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to effectively run meetings and communicate clearly and accountably with clients, staff and co-workers
- Excellent organization/time management skills, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Must pass drug test, fit-for-duty medical exam, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.