Skills: Construction Manager
Experience: 12 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Secunda, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Construction Manager with experience in the oil and gas petrochemical industry to be based in Secunda.
- Act as a Representative for the company in all aspects of HSEQS & IR.
- Implement and maintain the requirements of the worksite safety plan and ensure the work of contractors is coordinated and managed to eliminate or minimise the risks to personnel, property and the environment. Agree method statements, risk assessments and job safety analysis. Ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with the agreed method statements.
- Maintain security to ensure that the general public and third parties are not at risk or exposed to any construction hazard and that company and client property, equipment and materials are safeguarded.
- Assist contracts to carry out HAZCON 2B risk assessments, identify critical / special tasks lists, and develop appropriate method statements.
- Ensure that contractors carry out periodic risk assessment of their standard methods and work practices.
- Attend contractors' toolbox talks.
- Meet regularly with the Safety Officer to ensure that any actions necessary are taken up with contractors and followed up to ensure compliance.
- In conjunction with the Field Engineer, and/or Construction Management identify areas of work that require HAZCON 3 risk assessment.
- Proactively undertake and promote the use of behavioural and incentivised HSE work programmes, and campaigns, e.g. 'HEART'.
- Manage and maintain mutually beneficial working relationships with colleagues, Contractor and Client.
- Comply with Company and Client secrecy agreements, and compliance, pertinent to the Construction Site and associated activities.
- Manage the site and site staff according to requirements.
- Set targets, objectives and clear responsibilities for all supervised staff, progressively monitor individual performance against the agreed criteria.
- Deputise for any other Construction Position.
- Review and assess the project drawings and specifications to ensure adequate instructions are provided for the work content described.
- Ensure proper control of changes by issuing FI's for all changes, reviewing TQ's to ensure responses are appropriate and practical, and reviewing ARN's prior to issue to contractors to ensure correct use of construction resources.
- Ensure that contractors carry out job safety analysis and supervision review, approve and maintain a record of them close to the work area.
- In conjunction with the Field Engineer or Quality Control Manager review the project site quality plan, and ensure the inspection roles for supervisors and assigned staff are understood and implemented. Monitor the performance of witness, inspection and surveillance checks and discuss and agree the appropriate assignment of resources to ensure the inspection requirements are fulfilled.
- Ensure that the completion, acceptance and handover procedures are progressively implemented, and that parts of the work are not put into initial operation until the plant has been accepted by the Client/Operator.
- Guide and utilise construction supervision and engineering resources together with all necessary contractor(s) personnel to develop and prepare fully detailed level 4 construction schedule(s).
- Coordinate and direct site planning engineer(s) and field supervision to ensure that construction schedules are practical with adequate manpower resources, material availability, and safe work methodology to provide construction completion within the overall project schedule.
- Monitor and evaluate the project labour requirements to ensure adequate and economic level Check contractors' daily labour allocations per job face to ensure priority working in accordance with Level 5 contract schedules.
- Ensure contractor ratio of supervision to labour is adequate and in accordance with contractor contract bid and is being deployed at work face areas.
- Coordinate the activities of discipline superintendents, and supervisors to ensure correct understanding of the work scope and quality requirements.
- In conjunction with Contract Administration staff, ensure the contractors are fully aware of their obligations and responsibilities within the overall programme. Coordinate the contractors, and vendors' field representatives, to supply necessary equipment, and services as required by the Contract.
- Check all material and equipment schedules, to ensure that the types, quantities and delivery dates are satisfactory to meet programme requirements, with any deficiencies being reported to the Construction Site Manager and the Field Engineer.
- Regularly check flow of materials through the warehouse, ensuring contractors withdrawals are compatible with field and work face requirements. Ensure contractors safe handling and preservation of project materials meet project requirements.
- Ensure contractors plant and equipment is deployed efficiently, effectively and safely. Ensure plans are in place to address future requirements.
- Maintain the required standards of site discipline, timekeeping, safety, and enforce site regulations and client procedures where necessary.
- Continually monitor/record progress and man-hours expended in a defined area of the overall project.
- By monitoring overtime incidence, ensure that overtime sanctioning is strictly within management and site policies.
- Ensure to be informed on any field problems and current trends. Provide coordination between field activities and site office staff.
- Ensure that site labour is handled under the terms of the applicable labour agreements.
- Ensure to be informed about the on any grievances or potential problems.
- In conjunction with contract administration staff ensure all communication to/from construction contractors including variations, instructions and notices are strictly in accordance with the contract management procedures.
- Review and communicate to staff and contractors the commissioning procedural execution and inspection criteria for all pre-commissioning activities.
- Review method statements for pre-commissioning and commissioning activities to ensure workface coordination and integration has been considered and all the project Quality and HSES requirements have been complied with.
- Review and agree procedures with the Commissioning Manager for System Isolation ensuring robust safeguards are in place for the protection of both Construction and Commissioning personnel prior to any energisation of the system(s).
- Ensure pre-commissioning work is adequately supervised and resourced with labour, plant and equipment.
Skills / Qualifications
- Trade (i.e. Boilermaker, Fitter and etc.)
- N6 (National Diploma)
- S4 (Higher National Diploma)
- B Degree
- 12 Years
- 10 Years
- 8 Years
- 6 Years
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills elationship and networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.