Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
Wood currently has an immediate opening for a Junior to Mid-level Environmental Chemist to join our North Central environmental science team.
Are you an Environmental Chemist looking for an opportunity to work with an established environmental consulting firm that values its employee's enthusiasm and technical contributions? We encourage you to apply for this opportunity. This position offers an excellent opportunity to transition from the laboratory environment to consulting. The chemist's primary initial role will be to validate analytical data, write data validation reports, and help prepare QAPPs. The right person with the right drive and attitude can grow into non-data validation roles including database management, field work, project management or other technical roles over time.
Our employees have the opportunity to work on diverse projects with the support and resources of a large organization with unlimited career opportunities. At the same time, the North Central operations takes pride in maintaining a close collaborative environment! We have a very comfortable and supportive culture, with a deep bench of knowledgeable and skilled geologists, scientists, engineers, chemists, and database specialists. We realize that our people are what make us known in the industry and recognized for delivering high quality and technical excellence. If you want to be a part of a dedicated and brilliant team, we'd love to hear from you!
The ideal candidate would be located in the Chelmsford area and support a local team while also being part of the larger operations within the region. Wood offers the opportunity and flexibility to balance work in the office and from home.
- Analytical data validation, data review and report writing
- Development of environmental sampling programs, interpretation of environmental chemistry data and data quality evaluation (DQE)
- Data forensics, assistance with laboratory coordination, and database support
- Assist proposal teams with selection of analytical methodology, evaluate laboratory proposals, and establish QA/QC parameters
- Work with laboratories to ensure data meets client requirements and project data quality objectives
- Coordinate with Project / Senior Chemists on a regular basis
Skills / Qualifications
- S. or B.A. in Chemistry or related field required
- 1 to 5 years working in an environmental analytical laboratory (required)
- Familiarity with USEPA analytical Methods especially SW-846-series methods (required)
- Knowledge of the principles and standards of scientific study, field investigation, sampling, experimentation, quality assurance of chemical measurements, research and documentation
- Experience writing analytical standard operating procedures
- Strong interpersonal and technical writing skills are critical
- Ability to work effectively with team members as well as independently
- Must be well organized, have the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time, deliver on time and on budget
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving policy.
- BS in Chemistry strongly preferred but not essential
- Experience with operation and use of analytical laboratory equipment (e.g., ICP, ICP-MS, HPLC, GC, and/or GC/MS)
- Familiarity with Department of Defense Quality Systems Manual for Environmental Laboratories Version 5.3
- Familiarity with Department of Defense Data Validation Guidelines and Modules
- Familiarity with Earth Soft's EQuIS database program
Additional Requirements if Field Work is Desired:
- 40 hour HAZWOPER is preferred
- Need to be able to move and lift equipment that may weigh 40 lbs
- Must pass background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.