Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Wood is currently recruiting for a Substation Design Engineer in our Fredericton, NB Office.
Providing technical leadership and support to a team of engineers and designers in Atlantic Canada, the successful candidate will be involved with the design from conceptual stage through construction and commissioning of high voltage substation projects ranging from 12 kV to 500 kV.
- Developing protection planning and application documents, one-lines, schematics, panel layouts and wiring diagrams for power system protective relaying and metering systems
- Reviewing or preparing engineering drawings / documents, specifications, construction and outage staging plans, and inspection and testing plans/procedures
- Supporting construction and commissioning activities
- Performing factory inspections
- Participating in client technical, Safety by Design and constructability review meetings
- Reviewing or preparing project conceptual, feasibility and definition phase scopes and estimates
- Supporting Business Development team in preparing proposals and estimates
- Liaising with clients at the discipline level on technical matters
- Reviewing new engineering standards, design practices, guides, etc. from clients and sharing with the design team
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Mentoring junior Engineers and technologists
Skills / Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of utility-specific substation design experience. Experience executing EPC projects is considered an asset
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with the ability to register as a Professional Engineer in Canada and / or the United States
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
- Proven field experience with outage planning, construction sequencing and commissioning is considered an asset
- Familiarity with utility protection and control maintenance and operational practices is considered an asset
- Clean driving record / abstract
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.