Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Layout /Bulk Materials Designer with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- To provide draughting and design direction and supervision to ensure:
- Drawing accountabilities are met.
- Timely information transfer to other roles / disciplines / department.
- Efficient production of mechanical arrangement drawings from process flow diagrams.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Wood Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Detailed design and production of mechanical drawings encompassing all aspects of a plant construction package in accordance with relevant standards and project requirements.
- Knowledge of Mineral Processing Plant equipment such Primary Crusher, Secondary Crushers, Tertiary Crushers, Vibrating Screens, Feeders, Stockpiles.
- A detailed understanding of the operation of belt conveyors and its various components.
- Adherence to project man-hour budgets.
- Induction and supervision of designers in the use of Wood standards and procedures.
- Supervision of designers to ensure project design requirements are followed.
- Inter-discipline drawing checking.
- Coordination of drawing packages.
- Timely transfer of information to other disciplines.
- Training of junior designers.
- Development of design office man-hour budgets for proposals and projects
- Work closely with consultants, other disciplines, and Project/Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues
- Development of company standards, drawing procedures, on-line systems and other tasks as agreed with the principal mechanical engineer.
- Training of junior draughtsmen.
- Support other disciplines / division.
Skills / Qualifications
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or requisite experience.
Knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years mechanical design drawing experience of which at least 8 years are in the Mining and Minerals Processing.
- In-depth understand of the layout of conveyors and stockpiles, Crushing and Screening Facilities.
- Good understanding of mechanical technology.
- Experience with process plant design and layout.
- Broad knowledge / experience in fabrication, construction, and operations.
- Well-developed computer skills with a good knowledge of relevant CAD software and a working knowledge of relational databases and spreadsheets.
- Understanding of other discipline requirements.
- Good checking skills, ability to work unsupervised, focus on task completion, initiative.
- An open mind to new ideas / concepts.
- Good understanding of project process
- Team management, leadership, motivational and organisational skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A proactive attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity, and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own workflow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence, resilience, and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
- Ability to work in remote locations.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.