Skills: Regulatory Compliance
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Wood has an opportunity for a Senior Environmental Permitting Specialist - to include Professional Wetland Scientists - to fill a position with our West Coast natural resources team. The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of consulting experience and be comfortable preparing permit applications and overseeing technical analyses in support compliance with the Clean Water Act (Sections 404/401), Rivers and Harbors Act (Section 10), Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, etc. - including but not limited to preparing biological evaluations / assessments compliant with the Endangered Species Act; take assessments, Incidental Harassment Authorization applications per the Marine Mammal Protection Act; and preparing Essential Fish Habitat Assessments compliant with the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act.
Requirements include preparing and adhering to scopes, schedules, and budgets and supervising project team staff. This position will work closely to support the environmental planning and permitting team while collaborating on projects and with technical staff throughout the West.
Primary responsibilities will include leading permitting support for various clients (Federal, local, and commercial / industrial) and preparing analyses of natural resources and related environmental issues in the context of regulatory compliance. The position will also include leadership in business development and proposal preparation.
- The position is approximately 75% office work and 25% fieldwork on a variety of projects, including commercial, industrial, state, and federal sites
- Ability to successfully manage all aspects of medium-to-large sized projects, encompassing development of proposals, including development of scope of work/technical approach, budget, and schedule
- Liaison with client, agencies, and consultant team members
- The ability to work effectively and independently in a NEPA and / or CEQA project manager role
- Solid understanding of SEPA requirements and processes
- Attention and commitment to timely completion of high-quality work
- Provide oversight, and mentorship to staff- and project-level professionals
- Assist with developing new work to support the team
- Lead preparation of technical reports and proposals
- Biologist may be responsible for preparing marine mammal, fish, and benthic species impact assessments, preparing marine mammal monitoring plans, conducing marine mammal monitoring, preparing marine mammal incidental harassment authorization applications and conducting underwater and ambient noise assessments to support impact assessment and permitting
- Office work involves researching literature and regulatory requirements, preparing reports, maps and charts, and performing routine calculations
- Oversee preparation of field reports, internal correspondence, sections of formal reports
- Compliance with company safety standards and site safety standards in accordance with Wood policy
- Travel to project sites throughout the western US (between 25% and 50% overnight travel)
#LI-R e mote
Skills / Qualifications
- BS or MS in Marine Biology, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science or related scientific discipline or technical field
- 10+ years of related experience
- Must have experience in Project / Program Management, be a self-starter, and have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong technical writing, research, and analytical abilities, and strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment
- Willingness to travel
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving policy
- Experience with permitting midstream and terminal projects
- GIS and or AutoCAD experience
- Proficiency with ArcGIS and spatial analysis tools a plus
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.