Experience: 30 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Supervise personnel in the Machining Department and ensure compliance with all safety, quality, technical and housekeeping standards. Direct and coordinate all production efforts and scheduling required. Identify problems in the production flow and ensure that necessary labor, material or support is applied to relieve the issue. Resolve technical questions and issues associated within production responsibilities. Interface with customers to ensure satisfaction.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise and coordinate the production assignments and guide personnel in the performance of their duties.
- Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Schedule, prioritize and control shop production tasks/projects to ensure that associated deadlines are met and manpower is optimized.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and waste elimination.
- Recommend and/or make improvements in production machinery/equipment, including production methods to maximize efficiency and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Ensure economy and accountability in the expenditure of man-hours and material.
- Provide technical advice and interpretation of drawings, schematics, MIL-STD's, SUBSAFE/SOC requirements, shop processes, etc., to production personnel.
- Ensure required production documentation is completed and filed properly (e.g.; Time Reporting, QA inspection (OQE), Material Purchase Order Requests, etc.).
- Maintain and provide production status for all assignments to the Project Manager.
- Conduct periodic performance evaluations of section personnel. Take proper and judicious disciplinary measures in accordance with company policies.
- Assist with determining labor, material and scheduling requirements for projects.
- Review Technical Work Document packages (REC, CWP, TGI) prior to opening to ensure the full scope of work is identified for assigned task. This shall include adding any special reference readings required for system reinstallation and/or certification.
- Review/audit Technical Work Document packages (REC, CWP, TGI) at the completion of work to ensure all requirements/OQE are completed. Sign the Re-Entry Control (REC) at the completion of work in accordance with OII-MSD Quality Assurance Manual.
- May be required to operate machine tools and other machine shop equipment.
- May be required to perform other special projects or duties as required.
- Willing to work extended hours and receive after-hours phone calls as required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Supervisory position in a Naval or Commercial Shipyard with extensive Apprenticeship Program; or High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma; or High School Diploma/GED with extensive machine shop and supervisory experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience setting up and operating manual as well as CNC Machines in a shop environment.
- Excellent understanding of machining principles, feeds and speeds, and GD&T.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a in supervisory position.
- Strong ability to resolve manufacturing challenges in a machine shop environment.
- Must have working knowledge of machinery, valve and actuator repair.
- Excellent coaching and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of trade related tools, tooling, information resources and precision measuring instruments.
- Ability to communicate and interface effectively with personnel within and outside the organization.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office tools.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret level security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen who is not a dual citizen of any other country.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUMwork.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces , k neel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
AdTech COVID Vaccine Requirement:
COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities. Oceaneering joins the federal government in its effort to decrease the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, decrease worker absence, reduce labor costs, and improve the efficiency of work performed for the federal government.
As directed by Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, effective January 18, 2022, all new Oceaneering employees supporting federal government contracts must be fully vaccinated before their start date, except in the limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to a medical or religious accommodation. Unless entitled to an accommodation, applicants selected for hire must provide a copy of their COVID vaccination card.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.