Skills: Electrical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Wood is recruiting Graduate Electrical Control and Instrumentation Engineers to become part of our talented Sustainable Infrastructure team.
Join our quest to unlock solutions to the world's most critical challenges
Wood has a long established and evolving business delivering environmental and engineering consultancy and advice to clients within the UK and worldwide. Our work covers a broad range of sectors and clients such as water, waste, sustainable infrastructure, environment, green energy and municipal with a focus on delivering engineering solutions in water and wastewater treatment, flooding, waste recycling and sustainable energy to name a few. There are plenty of opportunities to broaden your horizons and support Wood's purpose of unlocking solutions to deliver a net-zero future and enable a more sustainable, resilient and liveable world.
You belong here
We are looking for graduates with a flexible approach and an appetite to learn in a leading global consultancy. You will be enjoy working in a collaborative environment and can apply your skills whilst working with a diverse range of clients and projects. You will join an enthusiastic and supportive team and will experience a challenging and fulfilling working environment. We will support your development through enrolment onto a training agreement enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status.
What might you do in a typical week?
- Working within multi-discipline project teams helping us deliver effective and professional services
- Providing technical input to projects including organising and managing site-based investigations, analysing data and managing project tasks
- Interacting with senior electrical control and instrumentation engineers who will provide guidance and review as you:
- collate data and documentation to be used on projects
- develop design solutions using various 2D and 3D design tools, engineering sketches and drawings
- prepare electrical design deliverables including specifications, calculations, datasheets, drawings and schedules
- provide support and input to the preparation of technical notes and reports at various project stages including feasibility, concept and detailed design
- Develop detailed electrical designs and procurement documentation such as User Requirement Specifications
- undertake asset condition surveys and prepare reports and recommendations
- provide input to testing and commissioning of electrical equipment and installations including witnessing equipment acceptance tests
- provide input to resolving issues during construction
- provide input to design risk assessments
- Supporting senior engineers and project managers in client (internal or external) discussions during coordination meetings, progress updates or project reviews
- Utilising quality assurance systems to help ensure the efficient execution of a project
Skills / Qualifications
What about qualifications and experience?
You will hold, or be expecting to graduate this year with one of the following (or equivalent) qualifications:
- BEng or BSc in Electrical Engineering accredited with IET
- MEng or MSc in Electrical Engineering accredited with IET
Some experience is desirable but not necessary. However, we would like to know if you can demonstrate:
- A positive and proactive approach
- A good technical understanding of electrical principles using a mathematical approach to problem solving by calculation
- An awareness of:
- LV electrical design to BS7671
- The design and specification of electrical power and control systems, including switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation and cabling detailed designs
- The use of P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation and load schedules
- Electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Cable sizing, and experience of using cable design software will be beneficial
- Electrical safe systems of work
- A willingness to visit operational and construction sites as required - ideally you should be in possession of a valid UK driving license
- Respect for your own and others safety and to act in a safe manner
- Some knowledge of design tools and software such as AutoCAD or similar design packages is desirable but not essential
How can we support you?
You will have access to our Developing Professional's Network (DPN) that brings together young professionals under the key themes of Connect, Learn and Grow. The DPN aims:
- to promote networking opportunities with others and exposure to Wood leaders
- to improve your knowledge of Wood's services and where the business is heading
- to provide support to your personal and professional development
Networking, participation in charity events, responding to business challenges from the leadership team, lunch and learn sessions, participation in STEM events and developing University and Institutional links are just some of the activities that take place.
What is the next step?
If you have the skills and qualifications we are looking for, we would be pleased to hear from you. Please include your CV and a covering letter to progress your application. We are keen to know:
- Why you want to work for Wood
- Which sectors you might like to work in or specific challenge that interests you and why
- What skills you have that demonstrate a good fit for the role
- Any work experience / positions of responsibility - tell us about your experience in delivering customer service
- Your aims and ambitions for your career and how you plan to achieve them
Closing date for applications is 30/04/2022. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.