Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Vancouver, British Columbia.
This is an opportunity to take a technical role on interesting and important projects under a variety of diverse terrain and project conditions offering accelerated responsibility and exceptional experience.
- Geotechnical/geological engineering duties assisting senior staff on a wide variety of transportation, municipal, terrain development, resource industry, utility, and commercial/ industrial projects
- Assist with preparation, proposal writing and technical reports
- Contribute to the mentorship and development of junior geotechnical engineering staff
- Assist with various field and/or office activities, including but not limited to:
- Conducting field investigations and mapping
- Instrumentation installation, monitoring and data compilation
- Occasional laboratory and field testing for soils, rock and aggregates
- Assist senior technical staff in carrying-out various data analyses and evaluations of projects
- Construction monitoring
- Follow and take a pro-active role in corporate health safety and environmental programs
- Develop technical skills, experience and contribute to a positive team environment, and
- Provide excellent practical client service with a commitment to technical excellence
- Collaborate with other Wood offices and geotechnical engineering staff on projects in Western Canada
Skills / Qualifications
- University graduate with a degree in Geological Engineering or a geologically oriented geotechnical engineering program
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, which can include previous summer or co-op employment terms in geotechnical/materials engineering, engineering consulting, geological fieldwork, earthworks construction, or remote resource development work
- Experinece in Project and Technical leadership roles provide guidance and support to junior and intermediate engineers
- Well organized, with a sound base in the application of soil mechanics, rock mechanics, geomorphology, engineering geology, hydrogeology and interested in technical and personal advancement
- Currently registered or eligible for registration a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia
- Valid driver's license
- Excellent written and oral communication (English) skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal tactfully and effectively with teammates
- Willing and physically able to lift and hike in rugged/remote terrain conditions
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to a variety of project sites
- All geotechnical engineering candidates are encouraged to apply, as they will be considered for alternative roles commensurate with their experience
In addition to technical expertise and competencies, you are enthusiastic, resourceful, organized, and detail oriented. You demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues. Excellent computer and technical writing skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and multi-tasked environment are essential.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.