Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 13 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting a Biologist or Wetland Specialist to support projects related to biological resources throughout the US, with a focus on Texas. The ideal candidate will have 1 to 3 years of experience with wetland delineations, natural resource permitting, and rare species habitat assessments. Activities will include performing field tasks, analyzing data, drafting reports and permit applications, and supporting project managers. Work will primarily be performed to support and maintain project/client compliance with environmental regulations such as Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting and the Endangered Species Act. Project work can also include supporting senior biologists on a diverse array of biological projects.
This is a position that will appeal to individuals with a background in natural resources, permitting, field investigations, botany and a genuine interest in career growth within a team of professionals. This position will be primarily supporting land development for renewable energy, oil & gas, and pipeline projects in Texas. The successful candidate will work with team members throughout the US, including coordinating with other team members to complete tasks on complex projects, work with GIS specialists to complete related tasks, provide field task management as needed, and draft sections for reports.
Additional opportunities for this position include collaborating with other offices throughout Wood on a variety of biological projects and clients. This position can be either full-time or part-time, and can be based in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, or El Paso.
- Provide task support for industrial, and oil and gas clients
- Collect field data to support identification of wetlands and waters of the U.S. as well as protected species habitat and other various natural resources information.
- Prepare draft wetland delineation reports, habitat assessment reports, permit applications, mitigation plans, impact assessments, and pertinent sections of NEPA documents (EA/EIS).
- Support agency coordination/consultation efforts.
- Prepare draft permit matrices, applications, and associated documentation and reports for compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Work effectively with team members as well as independently.
Skills / Qualifications
Wood invites qualified applicants with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree or higher in the field of biology, ecology, botany, or an equivalent discipline with 1 to 3 years direct work experience to apply for the position. Prior experience in Texas is preferred, although not required.
- BS Degree in biology, botany, wetland science, or an equivalent discipline.
- Experience performing permitting, wetland delineations, and natural resources surveys.
- Experience evaluating biological resources/ecosystem conditions and preparing summaries of baseline conditions
- Experienced, effective technical writer of biological documents such as wetland delineation reports, permit applications, and permit matrices.
- Experience managing and analyzing biological data within ArcGIS.
- Experience in Texas
- Proficient in Office 365 applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ideally, already familiar with Teams and similar applications.
- 1 to 3 years' experience with skills as described above
Desired Qualifications :
- Experience in Texas (although not required to be located there currently)
- Taxonomic knowledge of Texas native flora, especially wetland flora.
- Formal wetlands training
- Task management experience
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.