Skills: Civil Engineering, Modeling
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking Water Resources Engineers with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) experience to join our highly collaborative team. The successful candidate will provide FEMA NFIP program support associated with flood risk analysis, mapping, and related services on projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, and Northeast U.S. regions. This position will be an integral member supporting contracts with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), including FEMA Headquarters and Regions 1, 2, 3, and/or 5 as well as numerous individual state floodplain mapping programs. This position offers potential for development in a great working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to help our clients solve their most challenging problems.
This role has the opportunity to be remote from any location within the US.
Key Responsibilities :
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling projects as part of the Risk FEMA's Mapping, Assessment, and Planning (Risk MAP) program
- Execute one-dimensional and two-dimensional flood risk modeling software applications such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, FLO-2D, and SWMM
- Prepare floodplain and watershed studies in compliance with FEMA standards and specifications and assist with Quality Assurance and Quality Control for flood insurance study deliverables;
- Execute established procedures, perform of routine calculations and process GIS data necessary to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling efforts;
- Efficiently work with ArcGIS software and extensions in support of flood risk modeling and mapping and other water resources project needs;
- Support Field Investigations including the collection and analysis of data used to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling;
- Prepare project reports including engineering calculations, planning, and drafting technical engineering reports, research, and data entry; and
- Work with a team of Water Resources Engineers and GIS specialists supporting various planning and water resources, flood risk management and environmental restoration projects
Skills / Qualifications
Required Qualifications :
- Bachelor or Masters of Science in engineering or related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- 2+ years of experience in Hydrologic and Hydraulic Data Development in support of FEMA Risk MAP program
- Experience with HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, and ArcGIS
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, proactive communicator and problem-solver
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated ownership and accountability for work
- Capability to work in a dynamic environment, including a demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide array of individuals from various backgrounds, including engineers; planners; GIS professionals; federal, tribal, and state government officials; and the public
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
Preferred Qualifications :
- EIT Certification
- CFM Certification
- Two-dimensional hydraulic modeling experience
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.