Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Fresno, California, United States
Wood's Fresno, California location has an opportunity for aHydrogeologist/G eologist with 3 to 5 years of environmental consulting experience to assist with field events (groundwater sampling, soil logging and monitoring well installation) throughout the Central Valley Region.
*The position is open to working remotely within the State of California, with a base office in Fresno, CA.
The successful applicant will be expected to travel to field sites primarily in central California, which will provide a broad range of experience in implementing environmental assessments in a variety of regulatory and geological settings. This individual will also assist with compiling environmental data, preparing and interpreting soil boring logs, and assisting with report preparation for submittal to clients and regulatory agencies.
Duties performed will include moderately complex technical tasks within a broad work scope, and/or plan, conducts and coordinates project work for small to mid-range work projects. Ability to perform work independently including field activities, such as groundwater and soil sampling, data interpretation and evaluation and report writing.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates site activities with contractors, subcontractors, agency personnel and client representatives.
- Exercises independent professional judgment subject to supervisor's review.
- Maintains a high level of communications skill, with emphasis on the preparation of clear and concise written reports.
- Represents Wood and interacts in a professional manner with client and subcontractor representatives while on field assignments.
- Understands, applies, and oversees safety requirements in the field.
- Capable of providing an effective Quality Assurance / Quality Control role in their technical discipline.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in geology or related field required; Master's Degree desirable.
- 3-5 years of related work experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Work will include field work as well as office work.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with sub-contractors required.
- Ability to communicate clearly with on-site sub-contractors, supervisor or Project Manager regarding work assignments.
- Experience working with drilling and excavation sub-contractors.
- Experience preparing soil boring and well installation/destruction permits.
- Experience using the Unified Soil Classification System (ASTM standard D2488-17) for logging soil boring and/or test pit logging. Preparing boring or test pit logs.
- Groundwater and/or unsaturated zone well installation experience. Groundwater well development experience. Experience installing 500 foot or deeper wells desirable.
- Experience in interpretation bore hole geophysics desirable.
- Ability to produce and interpret chemical concentration-time charts, groundwater hydrographs, groundwater potentiometric surface maps.
- Experience with geochemistry plots using stiff and piper diagrams, and chemical iso-concentration maps desirable.
- Ability to interpret hydrogeologic data and prepare cross-sections and fence diagrams containing geologic data, chemical data, and groundwater data.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to stoop, kneel, climb and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to drive large pick-up truck; optional: ability to drive a trailer helpful.
- Ability to use hands to operate field equipment such as small pumps.
- Close, distance, and peripheral vision; normal auditory function.
- Must complete employment physical demonstrating ability to meet job requirements, including the ability to wear a respirator, as required.
- Completion of annual or bi-annual employment physical, as required.
LICENSE / CERTIFICATON REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid driver's license and insurable driving record.
- Must pass 40 Hour HAZWOPER Training and annual refresher course.
MACHINES, TOOLS AND/OR EQUIPMENT USED:
- Field tools and equipment such as bladder pump systems, water level sounder, small submersible and peristaltic pumps, bailers, water quality meters, and PID meters.
- Pickup truck and/or other motor vehicle(s); some locations require individual to have their own vehicle.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- May require work at remote sites around heavy construction equipment, drilling rigs, and environmental contamination.
- Overtime and overnight stays may be required.
- Some fieldwork may require working with hazardous materials and in hazardous conditions.
- May be subject to periods of extreme heat and cold and other environmental conditions such as wind and humidity
- Will be required to follow all applicable health and safety procedures associated with work environment.
- May travel frequently to project sites, including sites remote from the office.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.