Skills: Civil Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Durham, North Carolina, United States
At Wood, we are helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges across energy and the built environment. Join a global leader in consulting and engineering with a decades-long history in the Carolinas where you will collaborate on a wide range of projects supporting both government and industry clients. Join our team of innovative and passionate professionals where we embrace a culture of safety, inclusion, continuous improvement, and career growth.
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Mid-Level Water Resources Engineer with experience in water resources and civil design to support our Carolina's Water Resources Engineering Team. Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering and five to ten years of experience.
Candidates will join our Carolinas' Water Resources Engineering team with an opportunity to work on a variety of projects throughout the Southeast with an initial focus on projects in and around South Carolina. The candidate will work with our water resources and civil design professionals, as well as our multi-disciplinary environmental team to support studies, designs, and permitting. Projects may include H&H modeling, stream restoration, wetland restoration, drainage studies and design, watershed planning, stormwater master planning, and support for development of Section 404/401 and NPDES permit applications.
Ideal candidates will have familiarity with state and local drainage standards, policies and procedures, USACE and SCDHEC permitting requirements, Federal Emergency Management Act (FEMA), and H&H models.
Experience with natural channel stream design or strong desire to develop those skills is preferred.
*Candidates can be located anywhere throughout the Carolinas, with some travel to project sites included. Proximity to Columbia, SC is preferred but not required. *
- Independently perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling of riverine systems
- Support stream restoration and other water resources design projects
- Perform field investigations and GIS data processing to obtain data necessary for hydrologic and hydraulic modeling
- Prepare floodplain and watershed studies and watershed/stormwater master planning
- Prepare project reports
- Preparing design calculations and develop computer models
- Work with a team of water resources engineers, natural resource scientist, and GIS specialists
- Direct and mentor technicians and junior level staff, as necessary
- Some travel/field work is required
- Compliance with company safety standards and site safety standards in accordance with Wood policy
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Civil, Water Resources, Biosystems Engineering or similar
- Engineer in Training required, Professional Engineer certification preferred or anticipated (within 2 years of hire date)
- 5 to 10 years of experience in civil/water/drainage/design and studies
- Must have the capacity to work independently with minimal supervision and oversight
- Must work well in a team environment, with the ability to multi-task and handle various assignments at once
- Possess good analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience preparing construction drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation
- Knowledge of riverine hydrology and hydraulics; some experience with HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, TR-20, and SWMM models
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment, spending time between working from home, working from an office, and field work
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving policy
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience using ArcGIS is a plus
- Knowledge of Natural Channel Design principles is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience with FEMA floodplain regulations is a plus
- Experience with Section 404/401, land disturbance, and NPDES permitting
- Experience in the Carolinas
- Masters degree
- Proximity to Columbia, SC is preferred
- PE preferred
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.