Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood is seeking a marine structural engineer in Western Canada with a passion for technical project delivery to join our Ports and Marine practice.
This role requires a candidate who can combine technical delivery, project understanding, and meeting client expectations. Reporting to the discipline lead, they will be responsible for executing projects and being a key member of the Canadian ports and marine team.
- Build analytic and design skills.
- Use computer software as a tool for solving structural engineering problems.
- Create designs, calculations, sketches, diagrams, schematic drawings, and final drawings.
- Read and interpret structural, architectural, and civil drawings, specifications, and design requirements related to industrial and commercial applications.
- Conduct site visits / inspections.
- Prepare field inspections reports.
- Prepare drawings of field sketches using AutoCAD.
- Provide construction services support, including documented ?eld reviews, review of shop drawings, site visits, condition assessments, inspections, and responses to queries.
- Collect and analyze data under the supervision of an experienced engineer.
- Follow safe work practices and safety procedures, including planning prior to field work.
- Perform marine structural design work scopes independently, including docks, jetties, trestles, berthing and mooring dolphins. Ensure that deliverables comply with codes and standards.
- Work closely with geotechnical engineers and review geotechnical subsurface investigation reports and use information to prepare structural design recommendations.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary project teams, working with other professionals, to deliver high quality projects on time and within budget.
- Perform work in accordance with agreed budget and schedule.
- Assist in the mentoring and development of junior engineers in the group.
- Ensure all project documentation and deliverables are reviewed in accordance with corporate quality management procedures.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited institution
- Master's degree in structural or civil engineering is preferred.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with EGBC or eligible for registration within one year of joining Wood.
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time engineering work experience.
- Basic knowledge of structural steel, reinforced concrete, masonry, and timber design.
- Working knowledge of codes such as the National Building Code of Canada, CSA A23, S6, S16, AISC Manual of Steel Construction, ACI 318, the International Building Code, and ASCE 7.
- Working knowledge of structural analysis software including STAAD Pro, SAP 2000 and technical software tools such as MathCAD and Tedds.
- Proficiency with computer software such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Desire to provide excellent practical client service and a passion for technical excellence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated experience in writing technical reports and general project correspondence.
- A strong commitment to safety and sustainability initiatives.
- Work experience in ports & marine structures is preferred.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.