Skills: Electrical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
As the demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for a Consultant Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineer to join our Water Engineering teams located in Newcastle or Glasgow.
Working within various multidisciplinary project design teams, you will contribute to the delivery of the electrical, control and instrumentation design content on a range of challenging projects across the Sustainable Infrastructure Business Unit. These projects would include water, waste, pharmaceutical, chemical and general industrial facilities throughout the UK and beyond. You will contribute to the project design from feasibility and optioneering through to the production of detailed designs for procurement and construction.
Wood will support your development enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status, gaining experience in a number of areas and developing you to your full potential.
As a Consultant Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineer, you will work within project teams helping us deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Key responsibilities include:
- Undertaking asset condition surveys and preparing reports and recommendations
- assisting with the production of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Preparation of electrical design deliverables including calculations, reports, datasheets, drawings and schedules, detailed electrical installation designs and procurement documentation including User Requirement Specifications
- Providing input to resolving issues during construction
- Providing input to testing and commissioning of electrical equipment and installations including witnessing equipment acceptance tests
- Working closely with other disciplines on multi-disciplinary projects
- Providing input to proposals, work scope, work schedule and budgets
- Liaison with the Client (internal or external) ensuring that their needs are met
- Providing support to allow the project team to comply with the duties of Designer under CDM including the production of design risk assessments
Ensuring Quality Assurance systems and procedures are followed
Skills / Qualifications
IET accredited degree level qualification (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering
Related work experience is desirable but not essential
We are looking for enthusiastic graduates with a flexible approach and an ability to learn in a leading global consultancy. You will be highly numerate, have excellent communication skills, enjoy working in a collaborative environment and can apply your skills whilst working with a diverse range of clients and projects.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- A good technical understanding of electrical principles, using a mathematical approach to electrical problem solving by calculation where appropriate
- An awareness of:
- LV electrical design to BS7671
- The design and specification of electrical power and control systems, including switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation and cabling detailed designs
- The use of P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation and load schedules
- Electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Cable sizing, and experience of using cable design software will be beneficial
- Electrical safe systems of work
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation
- A good client facing manner
- That you are effective working in a multi-disciplinary team and on your own
- Good powers of observation, specifically of physical arrangements and construction practices
- That you are diligent, confident and highly motivated
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test electrical equipment and installations
- Some knowledge of design tools and software such as AutoCAD or similar design packages would be an advantage but is not essential
Furthermore, you should be in possession of a valid UK driving license. A willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK will be required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.