Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Infrastructure Designer with extensive experience in the Mining and Metals industry. This is an office based position, required to work on sites to support construction as required by the project. Project sites are based in the EMEA region.
- Produce drawings to schedules in accordance with accepted Engineering practice and Wood draughting procedures.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Create graphical representations of civil infrastructure (earthworks, roads, stormwater, sewer, pipelines, channels etc.)
- Review, interpret and correlate topographical survey data for import into design software.
- Assist Engineers to carry out road and stormwater designs.
- Assist Engineers to carry out network analysis for water and sewer pipelines
- Calculate earthworks volumes and assist with material take-off's required for Bills of Quantities.
- Review sketches, drawings, specifications, geotechnical and other data received from Civil Engineers to ensure design standards and best engineering practices are adopted.
- Production of civil and reinforcement drawings encompassing all aspects of a plant construction package in accordance with relevant standards and project requirements.
- Timely completion of drawings to schedules.
- Adherence to project man-hour budgets.
- Adherence to Standards and Procedures.
- Assist with training of junior draughts persons.
- Production of drawings on time and within budget.
- Clarity and accuracy of drawings.
- Knowledge and adherence to CAD Procedures.
- Knowledge of and adherence to applicable standards and Drafting Procedures.
- Completion of error free drawings to sound engineering practices.
- To actively pursue excellent Health, Safety and Environmental performance standards and to encourage all staff to achieve or out perform the indicated HSE KPI's
Skills / Qualifications
- Diploma in Civil Engineering (preferred)
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years design draughting experience, of which 5 years are in the mining and minerals processing area.
- Produce drawings using computer modelling and drafting software specifically AutoCAD Civil 3D. (Alternatively Tecnocad Civil Engineering Software, preferably all infrastructure modules)
- Broad knowledge of construction and operations.
- Good understanding of technology.
- Experience with Process Plant design and layout.
- Understanding of other discipline requirements.
- Checking skills with ability to work unsupervised, focus on task completion
The following knowledge, skills and experience will be advantageous:
- Drafting and detailing of concrete structures and associated rebar schedules using drafting software specifically Rebarmate.
- Architectural knowledge.
- An open mind to new ideas / concepts.
- Team player.
- Ability to prioritise tasks.
- Proactive approach to dealing with issues.
- High attention to detail
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.