Skills: Geoscience Technician, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Technologist to join our Alberta Geotechnical field group. Our field group support projects in all of Alberta as part of the Alberta Geotechnical Operation. This position will have a home base in Edmonton, AB and will involve field work locally as well as in central to northern Alberta. Our current workload is mainly in the mining industry, transportation and infrastructure, heavy foundations, pipelines, geotechnical hazards and slope stability. The ideal candidate will be energetic, self-motivated with a minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Promote safety culture by ensuring site specific HSE policies and safety standard procedures are adhered to
- Monitor geotechnical drilling, instrumentation installations, and core sample recovery.
- Classify soil and bedrock samples, and carry out various field testing of soils, bedrock, and groundwater
- Installation of various instruments pertaining to slope stability and foundation investigations.
- Taking readings from various type of geotechnical instruments (slope inclinometers SAAs VW's etc.)
- Programming, installing, and downloading information from data loggers
- Compilation of field data, record keeping and coordination of work including communication through verbal and written correspondence.
- Monitoring and reporting of construction observations and results and providing guidance during construction.
- Managing various type of subcontractors.
- Geotechnical Core logging
- Report writing of field and laboratory results.
Skills / Qualifications
- Completion of a Geological, Construction or Civil Engineering Technology Diploma Program
- Geotechnical Drilling experience, specifically with the installation of geotechnical instruments
- Experience working in the Alberta Oil Sands region is an asset.
- A minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Flexibility to work a variety of schedules (from 1 week on up to 3 weeks on shift (days / nights) in a range of weather conditions is required for this role
- Ability to go to the field (or a site) for up to 3 weeks at a time is required for this role.
- Good written and verbal English communication skills
- Required to be physically and mentally fit for work.
- Highly motivated individual with good communication/networking skills and commitment to client service and technical excellence
- Team-oriented, self-motivated and safety conscience with strong problem solving skills
- Ability to follow directions and work independently.
- Willing to do a variety of tasks and able to prioritize.
- Ability to work in the laboratory (including geologic core logging) and office settings.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite of programs.
- Standard First Aid Level C with AED, CSTS, and H2S Alive is an asset.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing.
- Unrestricted Class 5 driver's license valid in Alberta
- Clean Driver's Abstract (to be provided by successful candidates)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.