Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Wood is currently seeking a Piping Designer to join our Life Sciences (Biotechnology / Pharmaceuticals) team within our Philadelphia office to develop life-changing and in many cases, life-saving solutions for our clients.
While this position will report into our Philadelphia location, due to our current remote capacity, we are also considering candidates outside of the Philadelphia area.
On a global scale, Wood serves the Life Sciences, Oil & Gas, Federal, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Mining, and Power Industries. Our Philadelphia office has become the Center of Excellence for our global Life Sciences network, providing full-service pharmaceutical and biotechnology engineering, design, procurement, and project management services.
We're looking for an energetic, self-motivated individual with the ability to execute all phases of project design. Project sizes will vary and will include both existing building improvements and new construction. Excellent organization and communication skills are important for this position.
- Assist process engineers with initial through final design solutions for biotech and pharmaceutical plant designs
- Layout and coordination of process and utility equipment for sanitary/hygienic process systems and supporting utility systems conforming to cGMP requirements, as well as local codes, standards, and regulations
- Complete 2D and 3D modeling and design activities for piping systems and supports
- Generation of project documentation and deliverables including equipment layouts, piping plans, orthographic drawings, isometrics, piping specifications, and details conforming to industry and project standards
- Ability to produce all design drawings from reference information including rough sketches, notes, vendor drawings, or general direction from others
- Participate in field surveys to perform field system walk downs, take dimensions, and create field sketches
- Provide technical input during all phases of engineering projects
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure that the piping design reflects current information from all departments and that all departments have the latest piping design information
- Keep Piping Lead and Project Management informed of project status and challenges
Skills / Qualifications
- Technical college graduation with 5+ years of experience or an equivalent combination of higher education and related experience
- Competent with Revit 3D drafting software
- Design proficiency using AutoCAD 2D & Plant 3D
- Competent using discipline specific technical software such as Navisworks and Bluebeam
- Fully competent and knowledgeable of design/drafting principles and practices with extensive and comprehensive knowledge in plant layout and piping design
- Work requires a strong understanding of how design integrates into and impacts the complete multi-disciplinary project
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry / regulatory codes and standards is a plus
- Must be able to interpret P&ID's and use to generate 3D models, line lists, valve lists, tie-in lists, and specialty items lists
- Experience in preparing Specifications preferred
- International experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, decision making capabilities, problem resolution skills, and a sense of initiative are important.
- Ability to split your time between the Center City office and working from home (if local to Philadelphia).
- Flexibility to travel (~10%) required Willingness to travel to project sites to assist in developing field sketches and coordinating on-site tasks, etc.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.