Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure is currently seeking an Electrical Engineering Department Manager to lead and help grow our electrical design team within our 75+ person Atlanta-area Design Center based in Kennesaw, Georgia. The Department Manager will be responsible for t he electrical engineering staff, have desire to grow the department, aspire to build relationships and collaborate with staff in other offices. Our electrical engineering team delivers engineering and consulting projects to a diverse base of municipal, state, federal, military, private, commercial, manufacturing, and industrial clients. Wood offers the technical challenges of projects located throughout the US and the opportunity to collaborate across our 90+ North American offices. The position will primarily work in an office/home office setting but may require occasional travel to client facilities in support of business development and project-related activities.
Why join our Wood Team? We are a close-knit team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse client base. Our knowledgeable and skilled Architects and Engineers make us known in the industry and drive our recognition for delivering high quality and technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. Our Kennesaw, Georgia team takes pride in maintaining a family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large organization. We are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision.
Wood is seeking an energetic Senior Electrical Engineer who will fuel growth of our electrical engineering department while contributing to technical development of electrical engineering designs. The ideal candidate will have a background in supervising and mentoring design engineers and serve as a leader for the departmental standards and practices, good communication skills, ability to work with a group of experienced professionals, and experience leading electrical engineering designs.
The successful candidate should have a minimum of 10+ years' experience with knowledge in electrical systems, electrical equipment, arc flash hazards analysis, low and medium voltage facility power distribution system design, switchgear, motor control centers, drives, wiring diagrams, emergency and standby systems, and other related equipment for facility power. Candidate shall be familiar with assembling project drawings and specifications, proposals, technical scopes of work, estimating engineering design budgets, and engineering assessment reports.
- Responsible for recruiting, retaining, mentoring, and growing the electrical department
- Directly supervise a talented and growing electrical engineering design department
- Mentor staff by setting employee performance goals, monitoring progress through performance reviews, and provide constructive feedback and guidance.
- Participate in project planning, cost development, and project scheduling
- Plan and coordinate resources to staff projects and tasks
- Forecast workload for department, provide staffing needs to Design Group Leader
- Lead, coordinate, and manage projects and teams to deliver on-time and within budget
- Lead electrical engineering design activities within multidiscipline design teams
- Conduct independent technical reviews of electrical related design and construction deliverables
- Lead development and implementation of design standards, including coordination with other disciplines and design offices
- Contribute to new business development and growth of Wood's local Electrical Engineering delivery team by participating in business development activities and preparation of statements of qualifications, proposals, Client presentations, technical scopes of work, and manhour estimates.
- Participate in the preparation of design documents - plans, specifications, construction estimates and technical reports
Skills / Qualifications
- Interest and aptitude in supervising and fostering the development of a team; prior line management experience a plus
- Bachelor's or Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years' experience in performing electrical engineering designs for low and medium voltage electrical distribution systems.
- 10+ years' experience in heavy industrial and/or manufacturing power distribution
- Diverse project experience in electrical engineering and multi-discipline project execution
- Expertise through past experience in developing new business opportunities and client proposals
- Expertise through past experience in developing construction plans, specifications, cost estimates, schedules, and construction planning documents
- Expertise in field assessments, condition assessments and construction
- Familiarity with Local Government permitting codes related to Electrical Design. Strong understanding of building, NFPA codes and the National Electrical Code
- Adaptability with strong communication, initiative, planning & organization, problem solving, teamwork, and technical/professional knowledge
- Client (internal and external) service focus
- Experience communicating in a professional manner with engineers, project and construction managers, equipment suppliers, contractors, and client representatives
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume and deadline-driven environment
- Serve as a task manager, or perform as lead discipline (electrical and I&C) person on projects as required
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, if required.
- Ability and willingness travel with the team to project sites in the US and internationally; estimated 20% overnight travel
- Valid driver's license
- Has the ability to get US Passport.
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Professional registration in electrical engineering; registration in multiple states and/or NCEES registration is a plus
- LEED certification is a plus
- Experience in leading multi-discipline design teams
- Knowledge in electrical engineering designs, familiarity with primary and secondary electrical distribution voltages up to 25kV, arc flash hazards analysis, motor control centers, variable frequency drives, wiring diagrams, low and medium voltage switchgear, switchboards, transformers, protective devices, conduit and wiring, interior electrical systems, communications, lighting, industrial controls and control systems, grounding, lightning protection, and energy efficiency.
- Knowledge in Instrumentation and control (I&C) design including SCADA, Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) design of control systems, design of control panels, specifying instruments, development of network architectures, PLC design, and developing control strategies
- Knowledge of power system programs such as SKM or EasyPower
- Knowledge and understanding of electrical safety systems, NFPA 70E
- AutoCAD and REVIT experience developing drawings for electrical systems.
- Industrial/Manufacturing and Federal project experience.
- Equipment commissioning document preparation.
- Work is typically performed in an office setting
- While performing site visits or inspections, may require bending, stooping, climbing, and carrying
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.