Skills: Cost Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Junior Cost Engineer with experience in the oil and gas petrochemical industry to be based in Midrand.
- To provide a cost engineering service (in accordance with contract execution procedures) to both project and corporate management for home office and external (i.e. field) activities.
- Allocated project has a complete set of cost control documents appropriate for the size and phase of the project. Cost control documents are consistent in format, and presentation.
- Allocated projects are provided with a man power/manhour plan, in which actual manpower and manhours to date, and forecast manhours to go are reflected, after consultation with the project teams. The forecast manpower and manhours are aligned with the forecast schedule.
- Allocated projects where materials and services are being procured (directly or indirectly) has a cost control base, preferably using standardized tools (Artista II), aligned with the project estimate, including variations as may be approved. These are traceable through the life of the project. The cost control base is aligned with corporate procedures and contract requirements.
- Allocated projects (with exception possibly of projects that are of a technical advisory service unless otherwise required), are furnished with a cost report that accurately reflects costs to date and provides a cost forecast. The cost report is auditable to actual expenditure and commitments, and the forecast is aligned to the project schedule/forecast.
- Allocated projects have a robust change control system in place for raising, tracking and monitoring changes and supporting claims. Registers are published to the agreed project frequency to the project team as appropriate.
- Invoicing on allocated projects is up to date. Project Managers are kept abreast of overdue payments against invoices.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Understand all relevant documentation pertaining to the project including scope of services, conditions of contract, project execution plan, project schedule, etc.
- Work within standard project cost engineering procedures. Ensure that these procedures comply with contractual reporting requirements and, if not, modify accordingly, with assistance from the Senior or Lead Cost Engineer.
- Liaise with client project control personnel as necessary.
- Prepare manhour, material quantity and cost budgets from the cost estimate and update them on approval of contract changes and budget transfers.
- Disseminate budget information to all operating groups, providing clarification and additional information where required and ascertaining commitment to budgets as the cost target.
- Generally instill cost awareness in the project organization such that capital costs are controlled and changes to workscope are identified and quantified.
- Obtain from operating groups, the latest information pertinent to cost analysis and ensure its accuracy and completeness. Attend meetings concerning cost matters.
- Liaise with Project Planning Engineer on analysis of project status. Review the impact of cost and schedule changes upon each other.
- Identify and analyze deviations and trends against the budgets. Investigate such deviations with the relevant group and advise Project Manager of issues requiring corrective action.
- Establish and maintain all cost recording documentation. Provide comprehensive cost analysis and prepare forecasts of final project costs.
- Liaise with Field Cost Engineer/Construction/Site Manager and review field cost reports and associated information for inclusion in the overall project cost report when applicable.
- Review overall project status and forecast with Project Manager each month.
- Prepare monthly cost reports with supporting narratives.
- Prepare and issue monthly cost action reports to the Project Manager to include cost report summaries, exclusions, and potential cost problems and recommend corrective actions with assistance from the Senior or Lead Cost Engineer.
- Prepare monthly Project Cost Report and associated back-up for review with Project Manager, HOD Cost Engineer and Project Controls Manager as necessary
- Prepare quarterly Contract Profit Report (CPR) and associated back up for review with Project Manager, Chief Cost Engineer, Project Controls Manager, and Executive and Corporate Representatives as necessary with assistance from the Senior or Lead Cost Engineer.
- Audit of invoices and payment certificates prior to payment by either the client or company accounts.
- Ensure reconciliation between project cost report and accounts cost and billing information.
- Prepare final project statistics.
- Perform any other functions as directed by the Senior or Lead Cost Engineer.
Skills / Qualifications
- National Diploma in in the finance, commerce, accounting fields or equivalent or,
- Sufficient relevant experience over and above that stated below, in lieu of qualification requirements.
- BCom Degree in the finance, commerce, accounting fields or equivalent.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum 1-2 years industry experience.
- Proficient user of MS Excel, MS Access,
- Exposure to, and understanding of the engineering and technical environment, in particular in the oil and gas sector.
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills.
- Work well within a team environment. nship and networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.