Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wood is searching for civil engineers interested in machinery dynamics and vibration. The Civil / Structural Engineer would be responsible for analysis of static loads as well as dynamic loads for packaged equipment as well as piping systems. This person would support our growing Vibration, Dynamics and Noise team, and would be seated in our Calgary, AB or in Houston, TX offices.
This is an opportunity to work in a global organization with an industry-leading position based on its niche range of services, and to be involved in projects both locally, and around the world. Currently, Wood offers several services within the vibration, dynamics and noise team, and there will be advancement opportunities as the business grows. A dynamic individual, who is entrepreneurial and interested in consultative work, will thrive in this environmen
- Perform structural dynamic studies for oil and gas industry
- Perform structural static studies as per applicable codes and standards.
- Perform foundation dynamic analysis.
- Review and approve calculations completed by others
- Review design drawings for engineering compliance and Identify design deficiencies of new or existing structural design /foundation
- The work is primarily for facility owners, OEMs, Engineering Consultants, and Equipment Packagers
- The work will involve commercial software such as SAP2000, ANSYS, Dyna, Navisworks, AutoCad, Solidworks, and others. Job can expand to include computer modelling with VDN's proprietary modelling software.
- Typically, jobs involve supporting customers in a consulting role during the initial project planning stages by offering application assistance. As the job moves forward, our staff conduct detailed design analysis and work closely with customers to find the optimal solutions and make practical recommendations
- Our staff provides application advice in person or by phone. As the person gains experience, they will assist with project management and training presentations
- Prepare timely and accurate technical reports to professional standards
- Implement and adhere to Wood. EH&S policy at all work sites.
- Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to speak directly to the issue and to adapt to work environment and customers' technical specifications and communication style.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with customers. Strong customer focus, project management and the desire to go the extra mile
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Professional License - P. Eng. Or PE required
- Minimum 4 years experience with structural engineering design including steel structures, concrete structures, offshore platforms, pilings and foundations will be asset. Experience in a Consulting firm a strong asset
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards - ASCE 7, AISC, ACI 351, CSA, IBC, etc
- Experience with lifting lug, spreader bar, and sling design will be asset
- Strong practical knowledge of mechanics of solids, mechanics of fluids, dynamics and mechanical vibration will be asset.
- Experience with geotechnical report and gravel foundation will be asset.
- Job site and Construction engineering support will be asset
- Strong interest in vibration, reliability, and design.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems.
- Position may require limited travel to visit customers (continental United States, or Canada).
- Must be a Canadidan or US citizen or authorized to work lawfully in Canada or the US, without sponsorship from Wood
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.