Skills: Safety Engineering
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Darlington, England, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a contractor to provide Principal Technical Safety (Process Safety) Engineering services for a 6 months contract to our Operations business in Darlington, UK.
The Operations business delivers services to brownfield and greenfield projects across multiple sectors including Oil & Gas, refining, petrochemicals, bulk and fine chemicals and pharma along with emerging technologies such as Hydrogen and Carbon Capture. Our Technical Safety team also provides specialist support to other parts of the business including consultancy services and provision of independent safety review co-ordinators and facilitators.
Providing Technical Safety support to multidisciplinary engineers and designers to ensure effective implementation of safety and environmental regulatory requirements whilst observing risk management processes. This includes providing support under the CDM regulations in the UK.
Scope of services to be provided
- Lead and deliver Technical Safety project activities and deliverables within quality, budget and schedule constraints
- Support to projects on regulatory requirements including COMAH, DSEAR, PSR, PUWER, and CDM
- Lead formal process safety assessments such as HAZID, HAZOP, SIL target setting, and other safety workshops
- Carry out qualitative and quantitative risk assessments, including Fire and Explosion Risk Assessments (FERA)
- Develop safety engineering philosophies, design HSE plans, safety specifications, equipment specifications and monitor project/contractor/vendor compliance to these
- Produce and review specifications, data sheets, schedules, study reports, and design calculations; ensuring that they conform to engineering quality, competence, and project management systems
- Provide sound technical advice and solutions to a diversity of technical problems within the discipline
- Co-ordinate with other disciplines during all stages of design development, construction, pre-commissioning, and start-up
- Attend client meetings and communicate issues with other engineers as required
- Interact with team members in a positive and professional manner at all times
- Adhere to, and comply with, relevant discipline specific procedures and provide feedback for continuous improvement
- Participate in audits and incident investigations as required
- Ensure self-awareness of relevant regulatory framework, legislation changes, initiatives and industry technology developments
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of process safety and environmental engineering methodologies, software systems, and design practices as they relate to FEED, Detail Design, Construction, Commissioning, and plant Start-up
- Provision of guidance and support on appropriate safety and environmental engineering
- Awareness of international codes and standards
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in appropriate Engineering Discipline
- Chartered Engineer
- Demonstration of Technical Safety management and implementation of regulatory obligations for operating in a High Hazard environment
- Previous relevant project experience
- Applicants should be able to obtain a UK security clearance
- Experienced user of industry standard software packages such as PIPENET, DNV PHAST, exSILentia, PHA Pro, HAZOP Manager
- Certified Functional Safety Engineer
- Certified Hazard Study leader
- Fire protection engineering experience
- CDM Principal Designer experience
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.