Skills: Environmental Engineer, HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a Major Projects Environmental Manager/Director to join our rapidly growing Ontario Transportation and Municipal Infrastructure sector teams. This role will be ideally based from one of Wood's office within the GTA, including Burlington, Oakville, Richmond Hill or Cambridge, ON.
Wood's transportation service team has a proven track record on major projects, developing innovative mobility solutions that address the long-term needs of our clients. Our client base includes federal, provincial and municipal governments; AFP P3 and Design-Build entities; railroads and transit agencies; ports; and private developers.
Other Wood sector teams also address infrastructure development and associated environmental management requirements in mining, oil and gas exploration and distribution; and energy and power transmission. Across Ontario, we provide a comprehensive range of transportation and municipal infrastructure services from planning and environmental discipline specific studies to preliminary and detail engineering design, construction administration and monitoring, as well as overall environmental and engineering design management of design build projects including the Design, Execution and Operations, Maintenance and Rehabilitation phases.
We are looking for a key individual to join our Environmental Management team to provide management and oversight of a full range of discipline specific studies, environmental planning process and consultation-based services, permitting process and compliance management for infrastructure projects across Ontario and Canada. Th is is an opportunity to join an established infrastructure practice at a senior level, and to participate actively in the direct environmental management/direction of high-profile projects and associated multi-disciplinary technical teams. As a project Environmental Manager/Director, you will also play a key role in collaboratively developing our ongoing growth strategy in this sector.
Please note this role may have the opportunity to work from any Wood location in Ontario or even remotely.
- Serve as Environmental Discipline Lead in the capacity of Environmental Manager or Director on transportation sector P3/DB project bid and execution teams;
- Lead and coordinate Environmental Discipline Teams on proposals, bids and project delivery associated with road, highway and transit infrastructure projects for preliminary design/Environmental Assessments and detailed design assignments;
- Participate in consultation and presentation events as the senior environmental representative of the project team;
- Coordinate and manage/facilitate client, stakeholder and regulatory agency meetings/workshop events to advance environmental project requirements;
- Coordinate with internal engineering and environmental technical discipline leads, technical staff and sub-consultants for the timely execution of study deliverables and preparation of documentation required to compliantly meet environmental management requirements for Municipal, MTO and Metrolinx projects;
- Lead and/or assist in proposal preparation and business development activities;
- Conduct senior review of proposal and project deliverables prior to client release in compliance with Wood's Quality Management System;
- Manage client relationships on proposals and projects across Ontario;
- Identify and manage environmental commitments, risks, and compliance related deliverables through Bid Period, Planning & Design, Construction, and Operations & Maintenance (optional) phases of projects;
- As a member of Wood's Integrated Mobility Solutions organization, collaboratively coordinate with discipline teams and other Wood organizations for resourcing of project assignments, and delivery of high- quality program/project deliverables;
- Manage, coach and mentor junior/intermediate environmental technical, management and planning staff;
- Other duties as assigned to you from time to time;
Skills / Qualifications
- Experience leading environmental teams on Metrolinx and MTO infrastructure development projects and bids;
- Experience in serving as a project Key Individual in the capacity of Environmental Manager and/or Environmental Director on transportation P3/DB Bid and Execution Phases;
- Strong experience in the preparation and application of Environmental Management Systems, associated environmental discipline specific operational control documentation and comprehensive environmental management plans to support design and construction phases of major projects;
- Experience in successfully managing and completing transit projects in Ontario;
- Ability to lead and/or assist in proposal preparation and business development activities;
- Post-secondary education in Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, Environmental Policy, or a related science/engineering discipline;
- 15+ years project experience within the Ontario environmental management and environmental assessment process for minor to major projects in a variety of sectors including transportation projects (highway, rail transit, etc.), and municipal (roads, sewers, water) with emphasis on the delivery of transit project;
- Experience in successfully managing MTO Class EA, Metrolinx TPAP, GO Transit Class EA, and Municipal Engineers Association Class Environmental Assessment (MEA Class EA) and Ontario Environmental Assessment Act;
- Knowledge of relevant federal and Ontario environmental policies, procedures and legislation;
- Understanding of multiple environmental disciplines and their application to infrastructure projects including any/or all of the following: air quality, contaminated soil and remediation, natural heritage and Species at Risk, cultural heritage, archaeology, noise/vibration, hydrogeology;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the efforts of a multi-disciplinary environmental team (internal staff, external consultants) to achieve the Client's objectives consistent with the scope of services to be provided;
- Extensive experience managing project and task scopes and financials through to successful completion;
- High caliber and positive interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, with strong public speaking skills;
- Ability to guide and mentor staff and promote a team environment
- Documented experience working collaboratively with clients, colleagues and multi-disciplinary teams through to successful project completion;
- Strong sense of both establishing big picture project needs, as well as awareness of technical details that require risk recognition and prompt collaborative solution definition;
- Ability to recognize and provide meaningful input to solve complex project problems
- Sound understanding of design and construction applications as they pertain to environmental management;
- Sound time management, coordination and organizational skills
- Fluency with use of MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, and ProjectWise;
- Class G driver's license and access to a vehicle;
- Demonstrated capability and willingness to develop business from new and existing clients;
- ISO 14001 Auditor certification or equivalent, considered an asset.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.