Skills: Software Specialist
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Do you have a keen interest in GIS, spatial analysis or web mapping and an enthusiasm for developing solutions to complex and challenging problems? Are you looking for the ideal launch pad for a rewarding and fulfilling career in environmental consultancy? If so, we are recruiting for a high-calibre GIS Consultant to join our GIS team. We can be f lexible on location and offer home/office working pattern but ideally within practical travelling distance of one of main office locations - Reading, London , Bristol or Shrewsbury.
Wood's GIS team provides a wide spectrum of services including application development; database development; map production (PDF); mobile mapping; remote sensing; technology consulting; spatial analysis; and web mapping. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high-profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies and other industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
Our portfolio of recent clients includes: Azerbaijan Ministry for Ecology and Natural Resources; Caribbean Development Bank, DAERA Northern Ireland, EDF Energy, Environment Agency, Heathrow Airport Limited, Horizon Nuclear Power, High Speed 2 (HS2), Isle of Anglesey Council, National Grid, National Water and Sewerage Agency, Grenada, Transport of West Midlands, United Nations and the World Bank.
You will contribute to a diverse range of projects supporting clients across a range of sectors, including water and power utilities, property, transport, and government, both in the UK and overseas. Your work will be varied and challenging and will include the following:
- Map production and data visualisation
- GIS analysis and modelling
- Data collation and management
- Development of GIS workflows and tools
- Supporting the management of web GIS solutions
- Contributing to technical reports and presentations
We offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities
- An Early Careers Network
- A mentoring programme
- Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions
Fairness, support in development and a safe work environment - these are all of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong interest in GIS and related areas, such as remote sensing, data management and web mapping. Specifically, we are looking for the following qualifications and experience:
- You will have a good degree-level qualification in a relevant subject, such as Geographical Information Systems (GIS), geography or earth/environmental science
- A Masters degree or equivalent relevant work experience in GIS or a related discipline would be advantageous
- You should have practical experience in the use of GIS packages, in particular ESRI ArcGIS and the production of map outputs with a good attention for detail;
- You should have strong analytical skills and be able to apply them to analysing problems and finding solutions to a range of challenges
- You will collaborate effectively as part of a team, but also exhibit initiative in working individually on discrete tasks
- You will demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports
- You will have experience in the use of MS Office tools including Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.