Skills: Process Engineer
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Wood is currently seeking a Senior Process Engineer to join our Heavy Oil Technology Team in Houston, TX. The ideal candidate is a fully competent and knowledgeable engineer who typically performs routine assignments independently but under the supervision of a more experienced engineer. Candidate should have past process design experience in Heavy Oil Process Units such as Delayed Coking, Solvent Desphalting, and/or Visbreaking.
- May also work on projects independently or may lead a small project or a group of engineers
- Assists in planning and reviewing of technical work and maintaining project schedules and work plans
- Applies process knowledge and experience to assignments where issues and factors to be considered may be characterized by unusual demands and requires additional analysis to determine the nature and scope of the problem
- Works effectively with project team to provide assistance to Customers, other Engineering Disciplines and Commercial Group regarding process related information
- Listens to others, learns, and asks questions or seeks technical assistance when necessary only on unusual or complex problems
- Provides product design and work process improvements
- Prioritizes and plans own work activities, plans for additional resources
- Assures that all work on assigned projects is completely in timely manner, accurate and high quality
- Assists in training and development of less experienced engineers
- Assists in the development and tracking of progress reporting and staffing plans on projects assigned
- Assists on ensuring the process calculations and deliverables are properly filed in the project and process filing systems
- Serves as small project lead engineer
- Assists in reviewing and approval of work of other engineers
- May serve as technical subject matter expert in meetings with Customers and Vendors or in planning of complex engineering tasks
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of proposal and contract design calculations, drawings and other engineering documentation using organizational standards, practices and codes
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of technical evaluations of Licensor or Vendor proposals.
- Leads effective technical presentations and discussions with Customers, Vendors and internally within the organization when appropriate
Skills / Qualifications
- BS in Chemical Engineering is required; Masters in Chemical Engineering is preferred
- PE (Professional Engineer) license preferred
- 7+ years of relevant experience in Process Engineering and Design and possesses well developed knowledge of process engineering principles and practices along with understanding of project execution and process involvement
- 3+ years of experience with the design and/or operation of Heavy Oil Process Units such as Delayed Coking Units, Solvent Deasphalting Units and Visbreaking Units.
- Execution of process design work on on Delayed Coking, Solvent Deasphalting and/or Visbreaking process units new and revamp projects.
- Experience as Process Sub-Lead on at least two small projects with demonstrated success in delivering quality process deliverables according to project schedule and budget
- Has knowledge of the process discipline and has general knowledge of other engineering disciplines
- Working knowledge of alternative, advanced principles and techniques of process engineering and knowledge of competing and alternative design techniques
- Solid understanding of economic factors affecting the business (i.e. costs, margins, profit impact of decisions made)
- Demonstrated ability to apply advanced laws, principles, theorems and mathematics or industry knowledge in the improvement and development of designs
- Demonstrated skills in persuasion, negotiation, motivation and communication,
- Demonstrates proficiency in mentoring and project planning
- Basic understanding of the engineering requirements to calculate and describe phase behavior, thermodynamic phenomena, fluid flow, and basic unit operations as well as basic properties of materials of construction. Ability to translate this understanding into drawings and schematics
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office programs and familiarity with coding and use of process simulation software and ability to trouble-shoot simulations and other computer issues
- Oral and written communication skills with good vocabulary, good grammar and the ability to independently compose routine written communications
- Ability to prepare accurate, effective, complete and easily understood written communications and reports
- Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily
- Ability to maintain regular attendance as per work schedule agreed with manager (may require working an adjusted work schedule based on project assigned and work overtime if warranted)
- Willingness to comply with applicable laws and regulations, the Company's Code of Business Conduct and other Company policies and procedures
- Able to perform routine process tasks and deliverables with minimal supervision
- Authorization to lawfully work in the United States without sponsorship from Wood is required
- Work typically carried out in an office environment
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.