Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently seeking a Director of Automation to join our Life Sciences (Biotechnology / Pharmaceuticals) team within our Philadelphia office to develop life-changing and in many cases, life-saving solutions for our clients. This position will report directly to the Vice President of US Life Sciences Operations.
On a global scale, Wood serves the Life Sciences, Oil & Gas, Federal, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Mining, and Power Industries. Our Philadelphia office has become the Center of Excellence for our global Life Sciences network, providing full-service pharmaceutical and biotechnology engineering, design, procurement, and project management services.
We're looking for an energetic, self-motivated individual with the ability to execute all phases of project design but with a focus on up front feasibility and conceptual designs focused on solutions for process automation. Project sizes will vary and will include both existing building improvements and new construction.
- Providing world-class process automation engineering expertise to our clients and to the global process engineering department
- Significantly contributes to business growth through client relationships and support of proposals and presentations
- Establishing a process automation design basis, developing options, and optimization of selected design
- Conceiving, planning, and executing Feasibility and Conceptual studies
- Support and quality check Basis of Design and Detailed Design efforts
- Support and contribute to Commissioning and Qualifications
- Identifying new technologies driven by client's current & future needs
- Developing process information flow diagrams to define system architecture
- Support the development of Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) with respect to the control scheme and interfaces
- Participating in project planning, cost development, and project scheduling
- Assist in preparing long-range strategic plans for sustainable growth of Wood's Life Science Industry initiatives (training, recruiting, technology & tools development)
- Coaching and empowering of the engineers within process engineering North America
- Review of vendor drawings, design partner submittals, and RFIs where required
- Regularly represents Wood as a thought-leader at conferences and othe r public events
Skills / Qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, decision making capabilities, problem resolution skills, and a sense of initiative are important for this industry
- Maintains an expert level understanding of process department standards & guidelines, as well as applicable engineering codes and standards
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory framework and legislation
- Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, innovation, and ambition
- Minimum of 20 years' experience within pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
- BS or MS in electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent required
- Flexibility to travel (~10%)
- Ability to split time between the Center City office and working from home (10-90)
- Knowledge of cGMPs requirements
- International experience a plus
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.