The Litigation & Labor Counsel is responsible for providing legal management, assistance and advicing regarding litigation matters in support of the U.S. Land geography, under the supervision of the GeoUnit Senior Legal Counsel. In coordination with litigation management team, the position will provide case management, strategy review, internal stakeholder management, and management of outside counsel to minimize litigation costs and achieve the best outcome for the company. Roles and Responsibilities:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Manage a broad range of litigation matters, including more complex and higher exposure cases with the assistance of Senior Legal Counsel and/or General Counsel.
- Maintain and manage reporting and data to update legal management and the business on significant developments, legal rulings, and report significant litigation risks, including recommending legal contingencies and provisions relating to litigation matters.
- Provide litigation management including managing and supervising outside counsel, reviewing litigation strategy, and ensuring budget compliance.
- Provide legal support and identify and assess legal risks regarding labor and employment related matters, which may include, but are not limited to, human resource issues, wage and hour law.
- Attend depositions, mediations, trials, etc. as necessary.
- Provide legal support to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations and company Code of Conduct, including providing trainings and developing remedial work plans for continuous improvement.
- Interact with support functions and departments, ensuring involvement of Legal in all matters that may have a legal impact on the company.
- Implement, draft and update procedures, practices, guidelines and templates.
- Involvement in compliance matters, including data privacy, HR compliance and regulatory/environmental compliance.
- Proactively identify and manage risks to ensure business continuity and avoid business interruption.
- Participate in department training and development initiatives and complete assigned training.
- Support internal investigations.
- Responsibility for leading/directing employment investigations including EEOC claims.
- Experience responding to EEOC claims/investigations.
- Experience in civil and commercial litigation including directing discovery efforts, motion practice, trial, and appeals.
- Juris doctorate from a nationally recognized law school
- Active bar membership from any of the fifty states or DC
- 5-7 years of relevant legal experience in the areas of litigation and labor and employment.
- In-House legal experience preferred, but not required
- Exposure in the areas of commercial contracts, HR compliance, FLSA/wage and hour, data privacy and training preferred.
- Ability to clearly explain legal issues and risks to non-lawyers orally and in writing.
- Ability to act independently, handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently with minimal administrative support, including typing skills and ability to work with Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Ability to work with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.