Skills: Drilling Engineering
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has a long tradition delivering Transmission and Design projects globally to a wide and established client base. Due to recent growth we are expanding our resources through the South East United States to provide enhanced local support to our customers.
Wood currently have an exciting opportunity for a remote Substation Engineer or Substations Engineering Lead. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, South East Region, this position is located remotely but based around the Raleigh, NC area.
If you are looking to strengthen and enhance your skills, thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment and are looking for that next step in the growth of your career, this is the opportunity for you.
- Support designing electrical substations of 12 to 500 kV
- Prepare electrical design deliverables including one-line diagrams, general arrangements and sections for major substation equipment, bus work, HV structures, associated hardware and grounding
- Lead small teams of engineers and designers on various substation projects
- Support designing station grounding grids, lightning protection, low voltage AC & DC systems and lighting layouts
- Prepare protection and control design deliverables including one- and three-line diagrams, AC and DC schematics, wring diagrams, cable schedules, panel arrangements and panel front views
- Support designing substation communication systems, substation networks, substation controls, alarms, metering and protection and control schemes
- Support reviewing vendor documents against specifications
- Preparing material take-offs for all substation electrical equipment and hardware
- Preparing engineering documents, calculations, and specifications
- Supporting field inspections
- Traveling and visiting client sites from project definition through construction
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university with the ability to register as a Professional Engineer in the future
- 4+ years of electrical engineering experience in a Transmission and Distribution Utility or EPC organization designing substations
- Proven experience with delivery of Transmission and Distribution engineering solutions is considered an asset
- Understanding of basic power systems theory, protective relays, substation communication devices, substation control, substation alarms, fault recorders, SCADA and high voltage equipment
- Experience with substation design standards including - ANSI/IEEE/NEMA
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Florida Power & Light, Southern Company or Duke Energy experience is an asset
- Experience with local utility is an asset
- Driving License & Clean driving record/abstract
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.