Skills: Civil Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
As the demand for our expertise continues to grow, opportunities have arisen for four Graduate Civil Engineers to join our Water Engineering teams across the UK in Summer 2022.
Working within various multidiscipline project design teams, you will contribute to the delivery of the civil engineering design content on a range of challenging projects across various sectors including Government, Energy, Commercial, Industrial and Infrastructure. Specifically, you will perform a broad range of planning and design tasks for stand-alone water and wastewater treatment, sewer flooding, water and sewerage networks and general infrastructure projects, as well as civil design tasks associated with support of other multi-discipline projects.
Duties will include field investigations, preliminary analyses and studies, as well as the development of plans, construction drawings, specifications, design calculations, reports and contract documents. The position will be technically involved in detailed design work, detailed checking of work completed by others, coordination of civil and non-civil designs on multi-discipline projects, as well as resolution of design issues during construction.
Wood will support your development through enrolment onto an ICE training agreement enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status.
Early Careers Group
You will have access to the Early Careers Group that brings together young professionals and offers continuing professional development opportunities. Early Careers Group activities include:
- Networking opportunities
- Participation in an annual event with early careers staff from across Europe
- Organised office socials
- Participation in charity events
- Responding to business challenges from the E&IS leadership team
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Participation in STEM events
- Developing University and Institutional links
- Access to Wood's Global Developing Professionals Network
Watch this video to learn more about Early Careers at Wood:
We will provide the following additional benefits :
- Generous pension package
- Voluntary Flexible Benefits Scheme (dental insurance, cycle to work scheme, technology benefits, just to name a few!)
As a Graduate C ivil E ngineer, you will work with in project team s help ing us deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Key responsibilities include:
- Provide technical input to projects including organising and managing site based investigations, analysing data and managing project tasks
- Completing civil engineering design calculations under the guidance of senior civil engineers
- Development of design solutions using various 2D and 3D d esign tools including AutoCAD, Revit and Civil 3D to produce 3D models, engineering sketches and drawings
- Preparation of technical reports at various project stages including feasibility, concept and detailed design
- Preparation of contract documents and drawings
- Working closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects
- Providing input to proposals, work scope, work schedule and budgets
- Liaison with the Client (internal or external) ensuring that their needs are met
- Providing support to allow the project team to comply with the duties of Designer under CDM including the production of design risk assessments
- Ensure that Quality Assurance systems and procedures are followed
Skills / Qualifications
You will hold or be expecting to graduate in 2021 with excellent results, one of the following (or equivalent) qualifications:
- BEng Civil Engineerin g (or an equivalent) accredited by ICE
- MEng Civil Engineering accredited by ICE is an advantage but not essential
Related work experience is desirable but not essential
We are looking for enthusiastic graduates with a flexible approach and an ability to learn in a leading global consultancy. You will be highly numerate, have excellent communication skills, enjoy working in a collaborative environment and can apply your skills whilst working with a diverse range of clients and projects.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following :
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- The ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey and inspect civil engineering installations
- A positive and proactive approach
- That you are effective working in a multi-disciplinary team and on your own
- A keen interest in problem solving with an attention to detail
- Good powers of observation, specifically of physical arrangements and construction practices
- Some knowledge of MS Project an advantage but not essential
- Some knowledge of design tools and software such as AutoCAD , Civil 3D, Infraworks, ArcGIS an advantage but not essential
The next step
If you have the right experience and skills and are keen to contribute to an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we would be pleased to hear from you.
Please include a covering letter along with your CV as part of your application - we will require this to progress your application. W e require a covering letter with your application to explain:
- Why you want to work for Wood
- Work experience / positions of responsibility - tell us about your experience in delivering customer service
- Your aims and ambitions for your career and how you plan to achieve them
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.