Skills: Fire Protection
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Saudi Arabia
Aramco energizes the world economy.
Aramco occupies a unique position in the global energy industry. We are the world's largest producer of hydrocarbons (oil and gas), with the lowest upstream carbon intensity of any major producer.
With our significant investment in technology and infrastructure, we strive to maximize the value of the energy we produce for the world along with a commitment to enhance Aramco's value to society.
Headquartered in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and with offices around the world, we combine market discipline with a generations' spanning view of the future, born of our nine decades experience as responsible stewards of the Kingdom's vast hydrocarbon resources. This responsibility has driven us to deliver significant societal and economic benefits to not just the Kingdom, but also to a vast number of communities, economies, and countries that rely on the vital and reliable energy that we supply.
We are one of the most profitable companies in the world, as well as amongst the top five global companies by market capitalization.
Saudi Aramco is seeking Fire Protection Engineers to serve within the Fire Protection Department (FrPD). The role will be based in corporate offices in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, with periodic field visits across the Kingdom.
Saudi Aramco FrPD provides end-to-end fire protection services to all personnel, assets and locations associated with the Company within Saudi Arabia. Our Mission is to "Save Lives and Protect Assets." FrPD has more than 1900 personnel, compromising more than 50-station fire service and units of specialized engineers who support Saudi Aramco projects and operations, as well as our own Saudi Aramco FrPD emergency response teams. Our Fire Protection Engineers play a pivotal role in maintaining and further evolving corporate safety and fire protection mechanisms across the breadth of Saudi Aramco interests.
In this service, Fire Protection Engineers will be expected to play a lead role in review of engineering design packages of active fire protection systems for Company projects, ranging from plants (e.g., refineries, bulk plants, and GOSPs) to commercial spaces - like the King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture - to residential projects, such as the current project to expand the Dhahran community by 1500 units. The projects involve on-shore and off-shore facilities, both new and existing, and can require representation by FrPD from design basis through development to execution, commissioning and acceptance testing.
Working within our Fire Protection Engineering Unit, our Fire Protection Engineers are industry experts in their field, possessing a depth of experience across the spectrum of fire protection and fire systems engineering and deploying this to provide proactive specialist advice and support for fire detection and fire protection systems installed in all Saudi Aramco facilities across the Kingdom. They serve on technical committees for corporate and international standards, recommending changes that improve safety in our core business area.
As technical experts, Fire Protection Engineers are paramount in providing engineering and specialist advice for issues related to deficient fire protection systems.
During the first 30 days, the incumbents will become familiar with FrPD organizational structure, responsibilities, key stakeholders, risk portfolio, current and forecast projects, as well as the department procedures and company policy.
During the first 60 - 120 days, the incumbents will commence key duties including engineering ownership of assigned projects and modifications, development of training courses related to fire protection and providing engineering support to fire operations staff.
High level accountabilities of the Fire Protection Engineer will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans schedule and provides work direction for preparation or correction of designs, processes, reports, correspondence and data to ensure efficiency and conformance to overall objectives of all phases of complex engineering projects and problems
- Reviews engineering design packages of fire detection and protection systems for new facilities and for modification projects in Saudi Aramco, as the company fire protection representative.
- Provides expert technical advice and consultation, upon request by FrPD Operational Divisions or other Saudi Aramco organizations, for issues related to troubleshooting fire detection and fire protection systems.
- Participates and provide assistance to the project design and construction team during development, execution, commissioning, and acceptance testing phases of Saudi Aramco mega projects.
- Leads reviews of technical specification packages for procurement or replacement of fixed fire detection and protection systems.
- Provides engineering and technical assistance and support for Fixed Fire Systems and Inspection Groups in FrPD divisions on various fire detection protection systems used in Saudi Aramco facilities.
- Conducts Quality Assurance Reviews of FrPD Fixed Fire Systems and Inspection Groups.
- Works with, or lead the Material Standardization Team (MST) for material selection related to fire protection equipment, systems, and spare parts.
- Participates in reviews of FrPD and corporate standards, internal policies, and other governing documents.
- Performs technical research and evaluations of new products, technologies, and firefighting procedures.
- Supports the FrPD Emergency Command Center, as needed.
- Develops training programs for design, inspection and testing of fixed fire protection system for FrPD personnel.
- Participates in fire investigations for fire incidents.
- Participates in the testing and commissioning of various fire protection system installations.
- Support Fire Hazard Risk Assessments to determine the required fire protection emergency response requirements.
Saudi Aramco FrPD seeks candidates who satisfy the following criteria:
A depth of experience in fire protection engineering, ideally with specialization in one or more of the following areas: fixed fire systems (e.g., water and/or foam monitors and spray systems); sprinkler systems; fire alarm and detection systems; fire pumps; or fire water distribution networks.
Preferably in excess of 10 years of progressive experience as a registered fire protection engineer, ideally gained in the oil and gas industry. Related industries, and those of comparably complex nature, are also beneficial.
Experience as the lead fire protection engineer on large and complex projects, specifically experience related to the development, execution, commissioning and acceptance testing phases.
A sound working knowledge of fire and industry safety engineering, standards and codes under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), International Code Council (ICC) and, ideally, American Petroleum Industry (API).
Sound knowledge of engineering practices and economic principles, calculation methods and design details under North American standards.
Demonstrable, deep expertise relating reviews of technical design packages to fire systems and equipment, with associated problem-solving skills for the inevitable on-site modifications.
Extensive technical knowledge and expertise in fixed and semi-fixed fire protection and fire alarm systems.
Candidates must hold Bachelor's Degree in either Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Fire Protection Engineering , or closely related subject that is acceptable to the Saudi Council of Engineers (SCE)
Master's Degree is advantageous, as is status as a Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS).
Excellent command of technical engineering with an ability to analyze complicated challenges and develop safe and cost-effective solutions
OTHER DESIRED ATTRIBUTES:
Must qualify for a Saudi Arabia Resident Visa and Driver's License.
Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
Highly developed verbal and written interpersonal, communication and English-language skills.
Demonstrated ability to perform detailed financial and technical analysis
Ability to think strategically while satisfying day-to-day operational issues
Capable of deploying career-gained skills to a high-profile, dynamic, world-leading organization.
Role model who can mentor and develop young, recently graduated engineers.
Our high-performing employees are drawn by the challenging and rewarding professional, technical and industrial opportunities we offer, and are remunerated accordingly.
At Aramco, our people work on truly world-scale projects, supported by investment in capital and technology that is second to none. And because, as a global energy company, we are faced with addressing some of the world's biggest technical, logistical and environmental challenges, we invest heavily in talent development.
We have a proud history of educating and training our workforce over many decades. Employees at all levels are encouraged to improve their sector-specific knowledge and competencies through our workforce development programs - one of the largest in the world.