Skills: Student / Recent Grad
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is looking for a Graduate Engineer to join our Vibration, Dynamics and Noise team (VDN) based in the Glasgow and Southampton offices.
VDN are a specialised engineering consultancy within Wood, who support clients with their vibration and noise related concerns. This is a particularly important issue for many industries, as excessive vibration can cause fatigue failure of components and lead to safety, environmental and economic problems - hence, VDN's services are in high demand, with consultants working across a vast range of projects. Consequently, we are looking to expand by recruiting high-achieving graduates who wish to diversify into our specialist business with a desire to learn - the ideal candidates don't need to be qualified in vibration or noise engineering, but rather enjoy problem solving / trouble-shooting; willing to embrace new ideas; and most importantly, take on projects where the approach or solution isn't known at the outset.
Within the UK, VDN's main offices (and training centres) are in Southampton and Glasgow, and globally in Calgary, Houston, Perth, Brisbane, Abu Dhabi and Kuala Lumpur, but experienced staff operate out of many other sites. Being the premier vibration and noise consultants, we attract the finest specialists within their respective fields - as a Wood employee you will have access to this wealth of experience whilst applying your knowledge on real-world projects. No day is the same within the VDN service line, owing to the diversity of our projects and a good mix of office and field work - therefore, you will develop a diverse range of transferable skills relevant to many industries, such as risk based assessments, computational modelling, measurement surveys, data analysis, but most importantly, think outside of the box and solve problems. Furthermore, as our clients and offices are spread across the world, there are ongoing possibilities for secondments in addition to project related travel opportunities.
- Carry out Vibration and Noise projects under close supervision of experienced Leads/Consultants
- Undertake offshore \ safety training so that they can accompany senior team members to site to collect data and perform trouble-shooting investigations
- Build and analyse computational models - structural, dynamic, fatigue, noise propagation etc
- Perform Acoustic Induced Vibration (AIV) screenings using in-house Veridian software
- Assist in the preparation of drawings / reports / technical notes
See below some videos for more information on the VDN team:
VDN Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4vFmBvSrQ
Wood Vibration Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTTOQSa_7M
Wood Dynamic Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLZj8Gk9ng
Wood Noise Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukigoelx1n0
The deadline for applications is 31st January 2022.
Key Elements of the Graduate Programme:
- Access to a wealth of technical and personal development resources and opportunities
- Support throughout your career; you will be assigned a buddy, mentor (Chartered Engineer) and departmental manager to ensure your professional development is achieved in order to gain chartered engineer status
- Where available, opportunities for site placements, site visits in the UK and overseas and rotations into other relevant disciplines to enhance your knowledge and experience in order to become a well-rounded Engineer
- Competitive salary
- Access to a range of excellent employee benefits including:
- Cycle to work scheme
- Give as you earn scheme
- Generous holiday allowance plus extra days purchase option
- Travel and private medical insurance
- Pension and life assurance
- Shares option
Early Careers Network:
You will have access to the Early Careers Network that brings together young professionals and offers continuing professional development opportunities.
Early Careers Network activities include:
- Networking opportunities
- UK wide site visits
- Organised social events
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Technical and soft skills training
- Participation in STEM events
- Developing University and Institutional links
- Access to Wood's Global Developing Professionals Network
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduate engineer with BSc/MSc in Engineering or mathematics based degree from a recognised university
- Knowledge of disciplines such as vibration, noise, finite element analysis would be preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of programming techniques, preferably C# or java script, would be a bonus
- Good team player and fluency in both written and spoken English
- Good technical writing and presentation skills
- Enthusiastic to learn new skills and take on challenges
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.