London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Skills: Risk Management
Education: Masters Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Are you looking to take your career in hydrology and flood risk management to the next level? Are you passionate about applying your skills to developing solutions for water environment challenges for complex and high profile projects? Due to sustained strong growth in our Water Management business, we are seeking to appoint a talented and ambitious individual with skills in hydrology and/or flood risk management to develop our capability further. You will have a proven track record of technical project delivery in one or more of the following areas:
- High flows assessment and flood frequency analysis
- Low flows assessment
- Hydraulic modelling
- Preparation of flood risk assessments for new developments and infrastructure
- Sustainable Drainage Systems and drainage impact assessment for new developments and infrastructure
You will also either have some experience of managing projects, or the desire to develop skills in this area. We can be flexible on location in order secure the best person for the job, and can offer locations across the UK, including London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Glasgow.
Wood's Water Management team works across a wide spectrum of services covering hydrology and hydraulics, water resources, water quality, hydroecology and hydrogeology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies, the water industry, and a wide range of industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
You will contribute to a diverse range of water-related projects, but the main focus of your work is likely to be in support of projects in the following areas:
- Flood risk and drainage impact assessment for major infrastructure, including urban masterplanning, power, transportation, and minerals developments
- Flood frequency analysis and modelling to support flood mitigation and drainage design
- Low flows analysis and modelling to support water resources planning, hydroecology and river restoration projects
Your work will be varied and challenging and will include the following:
- Managing small projects, and tasking managing discrete tasks within larger projects, including coordinating inputs from others
- Coordinating and carrying out field surveys
- Leading on data analysis and modelling tasks, supported by guidance from a senior expert
- Being the lead author of technical reports and presentations, supported by technical review from a senior expert
Leading the development of proposals for small projects, or contributing to proposals for larger projects
We offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. You would be co-located along with a wide range of other environmental and engineering disciplines in in one of our larger offices.
Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities
- An Early Careers Network
- A mentoring programme
- Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions
Fairness, support in development and a safe work environment - these are all of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated, numerate individual a strong interest in hydrology and flood risk management. This post will suit you if you have already established a career in environmental consultancy and are looking to develop to the next level. Specifically, we are looking for the following qualifications and experience:
- You will have a degree-level qualification in a relevant subject, such as geography, geology, earth/environmental science or civil engineering
- Post graduate experience is not essential, although a Masters degree in hydrology or similar would be advantageous
- You will have experience of successful delivery of technical inputs to hydrology and flood risk management projects in a consultancy setting, including a good understanding of the legislative and policy context for your technical work
- You may already have gained some experience of the management of small projects, and/ or should have some interest in developing your project management skills
- You will have gained, or be working towards chartership with a relevant professional body
- You should have strong numerate and analytical skills, and be able to apply these to analysing problems and finding solutions to novel challenges
- You will collaborate effectively as part of a team, but also exhibit initiative in working individually on discrete tasks
- You will demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports
- You should have practical experience in at least some of the following: use of MS Office tools (Excel, Access) in hydrological assessment; use of GIS packages such as ArcGIS; use of specialist hydrological or hydraulic modelling software, such as FEH/WINFAP, Catchmod, the HEC Suite, FloodModeller Pro or Infoworks ICM
- A full UK driving licence would be advantageous
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.