Skills: Contracts Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Wood's Specialist Engineering & Consulting (SEC) Group in Milan (Italy), Centre of Expertise (COE) for several of Wood's consulting offerings, are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic individual to lead the Proposals function across their business. This is a new role which will report into both the Manager of the Operating Unit (Milan) and to Commercial and Proposal functions of the regional business units.
The proposal manager will be accountable for the service lines within the business with special focus on the Consulting offering, which is active in various market sectors, including: Refining & Petrochemicals, Power, Cogeneration, Utilities, Gasification, LNG regasification.
This is a business-critical role with high visibility and great opportunity to drive growth and expansion for the SEC group.
The Proposal Manager will work closely with Manager of the Milan operating unit, and shall also support him and other Business Development functions, as well as commercial functions located in other Operating Units (mainly UK), on a diverse portfolio of tenders within world-wide market segments, with a focus on the energy transition. As such, the role provides an opportunity for an experienced proposal professional to gain significant exposure to Wood's tender governance process and an expanded understanding of the overall business context that will provide significant benefit to their future career. A significant exposure to Customers and a Business Development work will also be part of the activities.
Key Responsibilities :
The Proposal Manager role is a hands-on delivery and leadership position, having the overall responsibility and accountability for the process and quality of proposals for the business in the SEC business in Milan.
- Responsible for leading all phases of high value or designated strategic pursuits from business development, coordinating the decision to pursue through proposal development to compilation, post tender clarifications and sales to operations handover.
- Tracks and manages tenders through award
- Assigns and disseminates tender preparation actions.
- Delivers key aspects of each proposal.
- Manages and facilitates the standing and as-needed tendering update and review meetings.
- Manages the tendering budget
- Tracks and reports on success metrics
- The role will involve regular engagement with Wood Management in establishing and managing the proposal strategy and driving compliance with all relevant stages of the Identify Acquire Deliver (IAD) process.
- Prepare proposal approval and project handover documentation to support Wood's governance processes for bids requiring approval at SEC Business Grouping level or above, as applicable.
- In addition to the activities detailed above undertakes the following:
- Maintain input into Wood's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database used to ensure Senior Management have an up-to-date status of prospects and new business forecasts
- Work closely with other offices within the group and Proposals Managers
- Support update / standardization of the tendering process, internal procedures, work instructions etc. to align with Wood governance requirements and Consultancy practices
- Input to Weekly and Monthly internal reporting
- Provide leadership and guidance to technical specialists / estimators, with responsibility for checking output, compliance and delivery timeliness
- Drive innovation and customer value across target sectors
- Work independently, where appropriate
Skills / Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years' experience in technical roles
- Experience in proposal lead within listed market sectors appreciated.
- Master's degree in Chemical / Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) with capability to understand interpret and communicate deep technical issues with potential Clients.
- Previous experience understanding consulting and engineering services preferred.
- Experience leading small to medium teams highly technically skilled in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Capability and experience to managing proposal cost and budgets.
- Must have the commitment to identify, analyze and propose solutions to problems in a constructive and positive manner.
- Able to review proposal documents and ensure the highest quality responses are included within the overall proposal response with key messages used throughout
- Willingness to challenge and strive to enhance quality and presentation of draft proposals to articulate clear value propositions to the customer.
- Effective communication skills particularly in writing clearly and concisely with impact and meaning.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, able to drive a team through the proposals process while maintaining the schedule together with strong facilitation skills, able to control a room for group sessions. i.e., kick-off and status meetings.
- Enhanced understanding of Microsoft Office suite of programs, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.