Skills: Design Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Reading, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Designer with experience in thermal design of fired package equipment and combustion systems in the oil, gas and petrochemical industry to reporting to the Design Office Manager and working within Wood's equipment delivery team
- Production of 2D drawings, 3D models, and requisitions on assigned projects, in accordance with Company work practices and procedures
- Contributes to engineering excellence by providing the link between engineering design theory and practical application, translating critical design concepts into workable plans for tangible end-products
- Plans and carries out technical assignments of substantial variety and complexity. Capable of handling assignments which involve a variety of procedures and techniques
- Calculation of material quantities
- Production and checking of requisitions for a variety of Fired Heater components
- Technical evaluation of supplier's bids
- Support for proposals including layout drawings and estimates as required
- Provide technical support for other groups
- Occasional visits to job site or supplier premises for data gathering, expediting etc
Skills / Qualifications
- Proficient in the use of 2D Microstation / AutoCAD and 3D modelling CAD software used in the design of large package equipment or fired equipment.
- Capable of interpreting key documents including; engineering standards, piping material specifications, P&IDs and Line Lists.
- Able to layout relatively complex equipment using a 2D CAD package without 3D model reference.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Technically oriented, mechanically inclined, good at mathematics and talented at translating intangible concepts into hands-on project plans.
- Good working knowledge of other non-technical software e.g. MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to function within a multiple disciplines design team across multiple projects.• A self-motivated, proactive individual with high achievement drive and initiative, excellent verbal and written communication skills and good organisational awareness
- Flexibility is essential as occasional international travel will be required, usually of relatively short duration, but often with little notice
- Shows evidence of ability to guide and mentor others
- Self-motivated and completes given tasks to enhance the overall team performance
- Demonstration of customer focus and ability to respond to customer needs whilst achieving project and corporate objectives
- Able to communicate clearly verbally and in written form
- Good interpersonal and team working skills, builds positive relationships with supervisors, subordinates, peers and clients
- Prepared to take on new tasks and learn new technical subjects / skills
- High level of awareness and commitment to safety in all aspects of daily work
- Strong attention to detail
- Possesses integrity, strong work ethic, positive attitude, and is dependable
- Adaptable and flexible to the changing needs of projects and assignments
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.