Skills: Civil Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Civil Engineer with experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects.
- Responsible for the administration, overall technical direction and co-ordination of civil / structural engineering and design work on assigned projects.
- Responsible for the assessment of technical and human resources for assigned projects.
- Ensures that all assigned civil engineering activities are carried out within the agreed manhour budgets, cost budgets and time schedules.
- Reviews and approves project schedules to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Assists in the preparation of manhour estimates for Civil Engineering activities for proposals and projects.
- Provides guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on civil/structural engineering matters.
- Assigns and coordinates the activities of Civil Engineers reporting to him/her.
- Performs engineering design calculations and prepares design sketches in accordance with the standards and procedures.
- Checks and approves calculations and other project deliverables performed by Civil Engineers reporting to him/her.
- Attends progress meetings and prepares project progress reports.
- Advises the HOD or Lead Civil Engineer of any schedule slippages and their causes and proposed corrective action.
- Advises the HOD of Lead Civil Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Identifies circumstances considered likely to result in contract changes and prepares manhour estimates to support contract changes.
- Prepares contract requisitions and specifications for civil and structural work on assigned projects.
- Prepares technical evaluations of civil and structural contract enquiries.
- Liaises with specialist consultants appointed by the company.
- Liaises with construction personnel and addresses site queries during construction.
- Carries out periodic inspection of civil and structural work during construction to ensure correct interpretation of designs and issues completion certificates for structural work carried out on assigned projects.
- Provides guidance and training to junior and trainee engineers.
- Keeps abreast of development in the civil and structural engineering field.
Skills / Qualifications
- 10 Years minimum experience
- BSc (Civil Engineering) / BEng (Civil)
- Eng or Pr Tech Eng. or Chartered Eng
- 6+ years relevant experience
- Non registered engineers should meet the minimum requirements for professional registration and be registered as an Engineer in Training (or equivalent) and be actively involved in achieving professional registration
Knowledge, skills and experience:
Technical Expertise - C arries out technical design work to a high standard. Has a sound knowledge over a broad range of civil engineering fields relevant to the Amec Foster Wheeler project environment.
Analytical thinking - Ability to identify issues, obtains relevant information, relate and compare data from different sources and identify alternative solutions.
Communication - Ability to present information to individuals or groups. Ability to convey information clearly and concisely to groups or individuals either verbally or in writing to ensure that they understand the information and the message. Ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
Decision making - Knowledge of and ability to use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions.
Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
Problem solving - Ability to identify problems, determine possible solutions, and actively work to resolve issues.
Continuous Improvement - Identifies potential changes or improvements to established Amec Foster Wheeler design methods, standards and data. Is able to action those improvements within the scope of the role or is able to raise these in the appropriate manner.
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. elati networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.