Skills: Naval Architecture, Petrophysicist
Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a senior Coastal Engineer or Hydrodynamic Modeller to join the Canadian Oceanography Team.
The Oceanography Team, an integral part of Wood's Digital Environment unit, delivers comprehensive consulting, analytical and numerical modelling applications to support clients in a wide range of offshore and coastal operations, as well as the design and engineering of critical infrastructure. Our research interests include deterministic and probabilistic flood hazard assessment due to tsunami, storm surge and waves; ocean and estuarine circulation; sediment and contaminant transport; oil spill and ice trajectory forecasting; and statistical analysis of climatological normals and extremes to support the development of design criteria including the projected effects of climate change. The work is stimulating, fast-paced and challenging, with scope and opportunities for professional growth and collaboration with interdisciplinary teams within Canada and across the world.
Skills / Qualifications
- MSc or PhD degree in Coastal Engineering, Physical Oceanography, or a related field
- Industry experience in numerical modelling with Delft3D (preferred), ADCIRC, MIKE, Telemac or related models for storm surge and waves, coastal circulation and sediment transport applications
- More than 6 years of experience in a consulting or applied research environment
- Programming experience (Matlab, Python)
- Solid understanding of statistics
- Experience leading and managing projects
- Excellent communication and writing skills (English)
- Industry experience in developing scientific software and modelling toolboxes
- Experience or proven interest in the assessment of climate change projections and their impact on met-ocean parameters
- Experience or proven interest in atmospheric science and implementation of WRF models
- Experience in administering numerical models in Linux OS and cloud computing platforms
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.