Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Skills: Civil Engineering, Geologist, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Work from any one of Wood's North American office locations!
Wood is actively recruiting for Principal / Senior Geotechnical Tailings Engineers to join our Resilient Environments business.
The ideal candidate will be Doer/Seller, capable of overseeing a group of engineering consultants, delivering primarily geotechnical, heap leach and tailings management services to the mining industry.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the long-term development and management of the team, clients and related business development, oversight on technical quality, and delivery on projects including design, review and project management. These responsibilities will be delivered within a framework that manages risks and prioritizes safety. He/she will consult on projects across North and South America, thus requiring some travel.
This is a key strategic position within the organization and will play an integral role in the growth of our mine tailings, heap leach business. Come join the winning team!
- Consult on tailings, heap leach and mine waste management projects for our North American and International clients
- Undertake business development with new and existing clients, establish and maintain client relationships
- Lead and manage multi-disciplinary project teams, working with other professionals, to deliver high quality projects on time and within budget
- Coordinate delivery of engineering services and project management according to client-approved scopes of work;
- Participate in marketing efforts, prepare technical proposals and reports which may include; design, analyses, geotechnical, subsurface explorations, tailings deposition planning, heap leach facilities, earthworks design, slope stability analysis, construction documents and management of construction monitoring services;
- Provide senior review of designs
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanic engineers, environmentalists, and other disciplines
- Provide leadership, management and mentoring of technical staff
- Participate as a member of Wood's Global Mining Sector Team to coordinate business activities between offices, divisions and across borders
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants on your projects
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering (or equivalent); Advanced degree is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 20 years' relevant experience in the mining sector, specifically design and construction of tailings & heap leach facilities; experience in Rock Mechanics is an asset
- Experience with tailings characterization and technologies, such as conventional, thickened, paste and filtered deposits for metal mining
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, management and leadership qualities
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain client relationships
- Prior or current experience as EOR with mining clients is an asset
- Proven leadership skills, and an ability to manage and develop a team
- Project management experience in a mining or construction related environment, including ability with: project budgeting, cost forecasting, and ETC is highly desired
- Strong oral and written communication skills are necessary; French and Spanish language skills are an asset
- Registration as a professional engineer in Canada and/or the USA is required.
- Demonstrated business management capabilities would be an asset
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.